Old beer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk:

Alaskan

Reaction score
Here is a good one for you. Years ago I made two batches of beer. 1 ale, 1 stout. For reasons I can't remember I never got around to bottling or kegging the beer from the carboys. They still are in the carboys with dry airlocks. They don't appear to have molded or anything that I can see.

I don't suspect that anything harmful can grow in the beer but I can certainly imagine some awful tasting results developing.

The big question is. Do I pitch more yeast and sugar into this, or, do I dump it ?

Could this be a threat to ones health, or, do I have nothing to lose other than a few taste buds rebelling?

Thanks for the replies.

brett

Reaction score
Be safe and dump it. But you may want to try a sip first just to be sure. :) Report the results back here too.

If it wasn't for the dry airlocks, I would say you could have a decent chance at the beer still being drinkable. You probably have infected, oxidized, autolysisized beer. But then again, maybe you don't!

Matt Up North

Reaction score
The top might be nasty, though the bottom might actually taste alright. I had a friend have that happen with wine and only the top couple inches got oxidized and went bad. Taste it and let us know.