Old beer kit

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MrCat

Reaction score
Hey folks, someone gave me an old fermenter they had kicking about for ages, it contais the full starter kit including a beer kit which says 'best before 10/10 on it!

It's a 2 can kit of 'Pride of Yorkshire special larger' and the yeast packet says best before 1/3/2011

Would you give it a go anyway or just chuck it? I'm tempted to have a go and see what happens. There's a bag of hops too I think will probably be well foosty by now and I shan't sling in, but do you think it's worth a shot?

Cheers

It'll undoubtably be darker from being 6 years old. Replace the dodgy yeast & hops though. Might be worth playing with for that what the hell question...?...

So it has dried malt extract or liquid? I'd get some new hops and yeast and brew it up. But just for fun, I'd set aside a quart of the wort and use a 1/2 gallon jug as a fermenter and pitch the old yeast to see if its still viable. Be interesting to know, thats all.

It's liquid malt extract, 2 cans of it. I think I'll just try it and see then :)

Cheers!

if the cans are not swollen i'd give it a shot. i brewed a old mr beer kit it tasted bad to me but my bud light friends loved it.

I did an extract a couple months ago. Just replaced the yeast, hops and had to change out the DME( it was a solid brick). Beer came out really good.

Well I ordered up some more yeast and hops, but I think I'm just gonna go with all the original stuff and see what happens this time :)

Well I ordered up some more yeast and hops, but I think I'm just gonna go with all the original stuff and see what happens this time :)

The yeast is likely dead. The hops would have nothing good left. So I think it is a no go without new yeast, at the minimum.

I would wait and try it with new yeast and hops or just chuck it.

Ahhh ok, you've sold me, might as well wait :) Patience is a virtue, apparently.

Yup. Just like hunting, patience is a virtue...though not always rewarded. But most likely will be, which always seems to draw us in...:mug:

Back