Old Ale Questions

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hoosierbrewer

Reaction score
I am working on my Christmas Old Ale.

Christmas Old Ale

12 pounds maris otter pale malt
2 pounds Munich malt (bring out malt flavor)
1 pound Crystal 80 l (add some complexity and color; raisin and plum notes)
1/4 pound chocolate (color)
Mash @154 for 90 minutes
1.5 oz 5% Fuggles (60 min)
1 oz sweet orange peel (15 minutes)
1 lb Dark Sugar (15 minute for a rum flavor)
2 whole cloves cracked (5 minutes)
1 cinamon stick (5 minutes)

Ferment with Nottingham at 70 degree for 21 days with cinnamon stick in primary

Questions:

1. Any suggestions on the recipe? I want a very complex beer, but not too complex that the flavors do not mesh.

2. I planned to move to a secondary for at least a month if not several months. I have read on here where some people let their beer stay in the primary to clear. Has anyone done this for an extended amount of time?

3. Would it be better to go straight to bottle after primary? (as much as it hurts, I am not kegging this beer since I plan to give some away and take places. I hate bottling.)

4. I have Pacman yeast also. Would it do well with this style of beer?

5. Is dark sugar just dark belgian candi sugar? I stole the idea from another person

6. I will have to mash in two containers since I only have a 5 gallon round gott and a 3 gallon round gott. Should I split the batch with the grains mixed well or should I mash certain grains together in each gott? I batch sparge so I plan to stagger the time so I can lauter all in my 5 gallon.

7. What potential problems do you see specifically with this style of beer? This should be the biggest beer I have brewed in both gravity and malt.

Pick a question if you want and answer. I figured it will be easier to refer back to them that way.

Thanks!

I ran my recipe through Recipator and it seems it will be underhopped and very alcoholic. I guess it could kick st. nick's arse. I will take suggestions on it and make changes.

Thanks!

I ran my recipe through Recipator and it seems it will be underhopped and very alcoholic. I guess it could kick st. nick's arse. I will take suggestions on it and make changes.

do you want it so underhopped? 1.5 ounces of fuggles does seem a little light for all those fermentables....

It seems like it would come out like an overly sweet soda pop

I'd at least try for some high AA bittering hops, like Galena (my new favorite) at 60...

I was going to adjust up to 2.5 ounces of fuggles or try something new. I have never used Galena.

I use it in my Brown Ale.

DESCRIPTION: Galena is the most "mellow" hop of the high-alpha varieties, and has replaced Cluster as the most widely grown US hop. The bitterness is clean and well balanced. Great general-purpose bittering hop.

Also known as Eroica. 10 to 14% alpha acid. Citrusy. Good for Ale, porter, stout, ESB, bitter.

I think I want to use 2 oz of fuggles now to get it up to about 30 IBU. Maybe a 1/2 oz more to be closer to 32 or 33

Revvy,

from reading the links you gave me, I should probably plan on a longer boil. I think it will be about 90 minutes.

Will this effect when I should add my bittering hops? Should I break it up some?

Back