Oktoberfest

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Thewalljw

Reaction score
I am doing an Oktoberfest and I was wondering if I'm doing it right. I followed the directions but the airlock doesn't seem like a lot of bubbles have come out of it. It's starting to slow down to finish since its been two weeks. I was just wanting to know if 60-55 degrees is too cold for fermentation?

I am doing an Oktoberfest and I was wondering if I'm doing it right. I followed the directions but the airlock doesn't seem like a lot of bubbles have come out of it. It's starting to slow down to finish since its been two weeks. I was just wanting to know if 60-55 degrees is too cold for fermentation?

It depends on the yeast strain you are using. Most lager yeast strains do best at 48-53 degrees or so, but it can vary. Which yeast strain do you have?

I am not sure right now. I am using a brewers best kit for Oktoberfest as my first

I am not sure right now. I am using a brewers best kit for Oktoberfest as my first

If you don't remember which yeast strain came with it, my bet is that it's an ale yeast and not a "real" Oktoberfest. A lager yeast strain generally ferments at 50 degrees, while an ale yeast strain generally ferments at 65-68 degrees. So that's a big difference, and it would be helpful to know which strain you used.

Back