Oktoberfest!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

motobrewer

I'm no atheist scientist, but...
Reaction score
A bit late in the game, I wanted to brew this a month or so ago but couldn't find the time.

Very simple recipe, please let me know your thoughts, I've never done a 'fest before.

1.057 (75% eff)
24 IBU's

9.44lb German Vienna
2.38lb German Munich 20L

3oz Hersbrucker (2.5% AA) at 60
Wyeast 2633 - 4L starter

I was gonna mash low, around 149, to dry it out, hopefully around 12. 90 minute boil per longtime homebrewer's suggestion. Also take suggestions on ferment temps. I've only done one lager before, and it didn't turn out very well....

i haven't used that yeast before, but you want to ferment it at 48-50 degrees if possible. Your grist looks a lot like my recent batch did and it came out great. I did a decoction mash complete with protein rest (122 - 140 - 155), but a lot of people say it isn't necessary. You can vigorously boil your first runnings to bring out the carmely flavors if you want, I think it adds a nice touch to the beer. But by far the most important thing is your yeast and it's health, if you don't hit your numbers you'll get off flavors. Get your wort as close to 50 degrees as you can get it when you pitch and keep that primary temp low and steady. I'm in the camp of 'only do a diacetyl rest if you taste/smell a lot of diacetyl', which I've only ever gotten using wyeast munich lager. I think 4L is the right size starter, maybe someone else can confirm. My best results have always been with either 2 packs of saflager or prior batch fermenter slurry.

Good luck! The best way to learn lagers is trial and error, it only took me 2 and a half years of non-stop trying to consistently produce a good german lager :D.

you might consider some caramunich and caravienne for your color grains, i brew mine using German pils a the base with those two for color and a little light Munich for some more pronounced malt.

Latest posts

Back