Oktoberfest

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk:

Kharz

Reaction score
Hey guys -

So Ive been brewing for a few years, but have never made a lager before. I was thinking about doing an Oktoberfest (I know its supposed to be March -- but I am close enough). Some quick questions for you guys:

1. I have a large chest freezer that I use for temp control for my ales
2. Ideally, I could brew and lager the Oktober fest; but at some point (June) I would need the freezer back for ales
3. Can I "lager" through June and then store it at ale temps (60-65) until October?

Thanks!

menschmaschine

Reaction score
The brewing of Oktoberfests/Marzens in March and lagering until September is just old tradition. Lagering times depend on OG and how dextrinous the wort is. On a typical Oktoberfest, you could primary ferment for ~2 weeks at 50°F, lager for 6-8 weeks at 33-34°F, then bottle or keg, at which point you could keep it at 60-65°F no problem (unless priming with a malt-based sugar, in which case it needs to carb at primary fermentation temps for about 3 weeks, then move it to room temp).

Dos_Locos_Brewery

Reaction score
There's no problem at all with this plan. If you were going to store it at 85F, it might be worth thinking about whether that's OK, but 3 months storage at 65F should be no problem for any well made homebrew.

OP
K

Kharz

Reaction score
Perfect! Ive got 15 gallons drinkable right now (ipa / irish red) so I can tie up my freezer for 10 weeks with still keeping beer on tap. My concern was always if I could let it go back to 65 after it is done lagering ... so you guys answered that!

Now off to find a good recipe and get a monster starter ready for a 20 gallon batch ....

Latest posts