Oktoberfest/Marzen ingredients

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

catdaddy66

Reaction score
I am looking for marzen and Oktoberfest recipes that have a simple grain bill (3-4 grains at the most) and I see a lot of pilsner malt included. I have half of a bag of pale malt and have seen this in a few recipes as well. Can this style be made with only pale malt vs pale and pilsner malt?

If not its not a big deal to get a few pounds of pilsner. Just curious...

When I did mine a while back I did a little over 2/1 Munich to pils in the grist. Something like 16lbs Munich to 6 lbs Pils for a 12g batch. In my opinion Munich malt is the driving flavor, so I wouldn't fret too much over the lighter malt, be it pils or pale. I would not use a British malt like MO, however.

What kind of pale malt? Is it the 3-4L "pale ale" or the 2L pale aka 2-row?

What kind of pale malt? Is it the 3-4L "pale ale" or the 2L pale aka 2-row?

The srm is 3-4, i believe its Weyerman belgian malt. I have about 6#'s of Munich and Vienna combined and a pound of crystal 30. Does 6# of pale malt sound good for 5.5 gal?

The srm is 3-4, i believe its Weyerman belgian malt. I have about 6#'s of Munich and Vienna combined and a pound of crystal 30. Does 6# of pale malt sound good for 5.5 gal?

I would use it. It's not going to be "traditional" but I'd be willing to be it will make good beer

I am looking for marzen and Oktoberfest recipes that have a simple grain bill (3-4 grains at the most) and I see a lot of pilsner malt included. I have half of a bag of pale malt and have seen this in a few recipes as well. Can this style be made with only pale malt vs pale and pilsner malt?

If not its not a big deal to get a few pounds of pilsner. Just curious...

Modern German versions tend to be pretty light in color with grain bills leaning to Pilsner and Vienna malt. Old style brews used lots of Munich malt and are darker in color. I like the darker version better but the lighter ones seem to be more popular. Either way stay away from large doses of crystal malts as it adds the wrong kind of sweetness IMO.

For the lighter version try 40-50% Vienna and the balance Pilsner. For the darker style a blend of 50% dark Munich (10-12L) with the balance split 50/50 with Vienna and Pils will get you started.

catdaddy66. I'd recommend you have a look at this and scale it to 5 gal. Looks like it uses everything you have on hand and it's a very popular recipe.
Ed

Thanks! That looks really good. I'll sub some pale for the pils...

I didn't know if you could lager or not, but this recipe is really good either way. Good luck! Let us know how it turns out. BTW, here's a simplified version from BM himself:

I remade a simplified version of this one about 8 weeks ago and tapped it for a neighborhood party this past (Halloween) weekend.

I put it on tap upstairs next to my Wit.

49% 2-Row
23% Vienna
18% Munich
10% Crystal #40

It was a huge hit. Cleared up nicely and very quickly. Smooth flavor.

If you can't get aromatic or aren't a big fan...this simpler recipe gets 6 thumbs up from my neighbors.

50% Munich II
40% Pilsner
10% CaraMunich II

OG to 1.053ish. IBU to 30 with Magnum all at 60min.

Lager yeast @ 50F.

Modern German versions tend to be pretty light in color with grain bills leaning to Pilsner and Vienna malt. Old style brews used lots of Munich malt and are darker in color. I like the darker version better but the lighter ones seem to be more popular. Either way stay away from large doses of crystal malts as it adds the wrong kind of sweetness IMO.

For the lighter version try 40-50% Vienna and the balance Pilsner. For the darker style a blend of 50% dark Munich (10-12L) with the balance split 50/50 with Vienna and Pils will get you started.

The ones I had in Germany seemed to be nearly 100% Pilsner. Maybe 2/3 Pilsner to 1/3 Light Munich or so. Much more decent hopping than Helles, though.

Back