Oktoberfest---in a 5 Gallon Carboy???

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
OK Folks, I'm gettin' ready to brew a partial grain Oktoberfest, but have read in some interesting threads about the problem with lots of extract and the problem of BOOM--exploding fermenters. :D

I think I have a solution for mine, but wanted to make sure I was doing it right. I have a 5-gallon carboy, and I will hook up a 1 1/4 inch (outside diameter) hose as a blow off.

Here's the details of the ingredients:
3# Amber Extract
3# Pale Extract
2# Wheat Extract
1 1/2# Pilsner malt
1# Munich Malt
3/4# Dark Crystal Malt
Safale yeast
1 oz hallertaur (bittering)
1 oz hallertaur (flavoring)
1 1/4 # DME (priming)
OG 1.058
FG 1.014

Am I good to go with this set up, or should I stick with my 6.8 gallon bucket with a blow off hose?

Thanks for any and all input, suggestions, naysayers, soothsayers, doomsayers, etc!

Jodster

I'd do the bucket with blow off hose as primary and then rack to the carboy for the secondary. 5 gallon carboy does not leave you with much headspace.

Loop

I concur with loopmd in using the 6.8 gal. bucket, except that you shouldn't need a blowoff tube with that much headspace. Fermenters only go BOOM when something blocks the exit of CO2, usually blowoff material.

Plus, I'm assuming you will be fermenting this with a lager yeast at around 55 deg. F. I did an Octoberfest last year and never got more than about 1" of krausen at the peak of fermentation in a 6.5 gal. glass carboy.

-Steve

Actually, no, I'm fermenting with Safale 05, an ale yeast. my LHBS owner and I discussed and he suggested the ale yeast due to limitation of NOT being able to Lager at low temps... I can maintain a constant 65-68 degree fermentation temp but that is the lowest until I can create my own lager cellaring apparatus.

I'm sure it was a typo, but make sure you use no more than 1 1/4 cup of DME, not 1 1/4 # of DME for priming. I ferment all of my batches in 5 gallon carboys. Sure, the blowoff tube gets nasty, but I have never had a problem with exploding carboys.

Back