Oktoberfest grain bill

HomeBrewTalk.com - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Community.

Help Support Homebrew Talk:

balto charlie

Lifetime Supporter
Reaction score
Hey folks: I have asked and read a lot about lagering. I am now(this weekend) going to make one using a cold room in the basement and outside temps. I decided on an Oktoberfest. While browsing here and the internet I am surprised to see varying grain bills. Some use alot of 2 row, some a lot of Munich, others a lot of Vienna.... I'm so confused. Jamils has a GB of almost equal munich, vienna and pils.
What do you guys/gals think? I was anticipating using munich for part of it but don't know what else? I hear yeast is also very important. Many use WLP 820 but have also seen WLP 833 for a less sweet and dryer finish.
Thoughts??

EdWort

Reaction score
German beers mean German grains to me. I've never had the patience to lager, so I use a German Kölsch yeast for mine, but ferment it at 60 degrees.

Check out my Oktoberfest Ale recipe grain bill.

BigEd

Reaction score
Many of the modern German import Festbiers are pretty light, more like a heavier Helles to me, but I like the richness and color from a Munich malt base. A third each of Munich, Vienna and Pilsner malt isn't a bad place to start. My favorite is 60% Munich and 20% each Vienna and Pilsner.

OP
balto charlie

balto charlie

Lifetime Supporter
Reaction score
Eds X 2 Thanks for the input and recipes. I'll post my recipe when I finalize it.
Edwort: I am surprised you have never lagered. You seemed to have so much gear that lagering beers would just be one more venture into the world of homebrewing.