Oktoberfest Brew Questions

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

trefilov22

Reaction score
Hi all, question for the masses. I want to make an Oktoberfest brew, but lack the Lagering capabilities. Does anyone know of a good recipe that doesn't require lagering? Thanks in advance! Oh and gotta be extract!

Use a clean ale yeast like s-05 or wyeast cali common. I have done that many times, it comes out fine.

I know the YouTube series 'Chop & Brew' did an episode titled Aletoberfest. Might want to give that one a search.

You might also want to try a good Marzen ("Marz" is German for March) recipe, which is, for reasons you might already be aware of, technically, a true "Oktoberfest" beer:

In the old days, before refrigeration, beer brewing in Germany had to stop with the last cool month of winter (March) and kept in vats in cool cellars through the summer until brewing could be resumed when the weather cooled down again in October. To make room for new brewing, the vats had to be emptied, so the Marzen was consumed then. We have been sold on the idea that an "Oktoberfest" beer has to have a fall-kind-of appeal, complete with typically "fall-flavored" spices (pumpkin, etc.) But a beer that aligns with the true tradition of Oktoberfest would have been a brew that had already been aged several months, not brewed in October itself, or formatted for "fall" appeal. Good luck!

Latest posts

Back