Oktoberfest 1

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mightynintendo

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Being March and all, it seems appropriate to brew an Oktoberfest to lager soon. I'm shooting for the more golden-colored O-fest one might encounter at a beer tent in Germany during the actual fest (as opposed to the darker amber-colored O-fests exported to the US). Here is the recipe I've come up with:

Post-boil volume: 5.5 gallons
Brewhaus efficiency: 75%
Yeast attenuation: 75%

Grain bill: 12lbs
Vienna Malt: 75%
Light Munich Malt: 16.7%
CaraHell: 8.3%
Golding hops 1.5oz (5.2%) 60 min

Wyeast 2633

OG: 1.0567 (13.98 *P)
FG: 1.0142 (3.62 *P)
IBU's: 25.2
SRM: 7.0
ABV: 5.6%
Calories per 12 oz.: 175

Considering a decoction mash for this bad boy. Will let it ferment at (48-50) for 6 or 7 months. Updates, of course, as they happen.

Looks good. I like doing a decoction on mine for tradition's sake, though I'm not sure if it makes a huge difference since I've never tried the recipe without the decoction. Have a look at the thread for that recipe in my dropdown to see more discussion on the decoction and other stuff related to oktoberfests.

Brewed this one on Friday. Hit all my targets. It's currently bubbling away at 54 degF. Will let this continue for two weeks, d-rest, then d-rop the temp (5 deg/day until i hat 35).

EDIT: I did change the hops. I added an additional 0.25 oz of magnum hops for 60 minutes. Decided I was going to break with style and do what I want (and I needed to get rid of it).

I just transferred this to the lagering carboy and took a gravity reading. Current gravity is at 1.018, so I'm four points above where I want this beer to end (2 points above style specifications). The gravity hasn't changed for 3 days now and the diacetyl rest is complete. Any chance that it will drop a few more points during the 5 month lager at 35 degF or so? I took a taste sample and it is really quite good which surprised me. I thought it would take a lot longer for it to start tasting good.

Back