Ok to transfer to Corny without CO2?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JnJ

Reaction score
I have a batch of Shiner Bock I need to transfer to a corny, but I wont have any CO2 for a day or so, is that alright? I figure as long as I sanitize it I shoulds be ok, right?

Got it in the keg, much easier than bottling!!!!! I plan to get CO2 tomorrow. I also hope to finish the Kegerator tomorrow as well. So I should be drinking this one by next weekend.

rdwj said:
and throw some C02 on when you get it, even if you plan on letting it sit
Correct me if I am wrong...boy, that's asking for it..., but in another thread I read that gassing it is not necessary if you prime it and let it room temp condition. Is that correct?:confused:

Also, correct me again, but (after you rack to a corny) you can let it sit for months without gassing it, right? Or was that just tap a little gas into then it'll be OK to sit for a while.

The main purpose of pushing CO2 into it is to purge the headspace and remove any traces of oxygen that got into the keg during transfer. By pushing the CO2 into it and purging the headspace, it ensures that you only have your precious beer and then a little CO2 in there.

homebrewer_99 said:
Correct me if I am wrong...boy, that's asking for it..., but in another thread I read that gassing it is not necessary if you prime it and let it room temp condition. Is that correct?:confused:

Also, correct me again, but (after you rack to a corny) you can let it sit for months without gassing it, right? Or was that just tap a little gas into then it'll be OK to sit for a while.

I'd assume you'd know better that I. I've never primed in a keg, but I'd think that doing so would provide the blanket of C02 over the beer, right?

If I'm going to let it sit, I fill the headspace with C02 just to be safe and let it sit. I've never let anything sit for months, but I'd think that would be ok.

I'm still acquiring my kegging equipment so I haven't actually started yet, but I believe the lid needs a bit of positive pressure in order to seal completely. So until the yeast produces enough pressure you do not have a complete seal. For the day or so you will be without CO2 however I don't think you are in much danger.

homebrewer_99 said:
I know what you mean about the "positive pressure", but just closing the lid does the same don't you think?

If it doesn't then some part(s) may be missing.

I agree, with a new seal, it closes as tight as a carboy with a plug.

Very slight alignment errors can prevent sealing, even with new o-rings. But even without outside CO2, some will come out of solution and fill the headspace. My barleywines sit for years without extra CO2, but I've always made certain the seals were seated.

Why the rush to transfer though? If you have co2 you can purge the keg before transfering eliminating any chance of oxidation while filling.

I doesn't make sense to me that you need to add CO2 to make a cornie seal.

I can see the logic of adding some CO2 to purge to o2. But as CO2 is heavier than O2 a layer will soon form above the beer from the fermentation process.

It seem's to me it's either sealed or it's not. Like trying to inflate a tubeless tire that doesn't have a good seal you can push air in all day long but if you don't have a seal it won't help . I've never had an experience where pressure made a bad seal better I don't see where a cornie would be any different.

IMHO if the swing arm on the lid doesn't create a seal you've got a problem.

I racked to a cornie last week but didn't have any CO2 yet everyday I'd pull the pressure relief valve to allow any positive pressure to purge the o2 after a few days I can hear a SMALL hiss when I pull the pressure relief valve.

In other words my cornie sealed without adding pressurized CO2

First off - yes, you can prime in the keg. Much less priming sugar is needed. Additionally, the CO2 will push the air to the top of the keg. When I do this, I always vent the keg a few times as it pressurizes in order to force the O2 out.

As for using the keg without CO2, this is fine. You are simply putting your beer into a secondary fermenter. I usually throw some CO2 on the keg, though. The forces the O2 out of the keg. Also, the lids need some pressure in order to seal.

nkonkie said:
I doesn't make sense to me that you need to add CO2 to make a cornie seal.

You don't need co2 to seal a corni, you do need internal pressure. The lid works like and aircraft/plug door, the higher the internal pressure, the greater the force on the lid, the tighter the seal;)

Somebody, I can't remember who, PM'ed me a couple months ago to report that you really needed CO2 to properly seal the cornie (I was thinking about getting some cornies, I have none now, to use as secondary fermenters). They tried it without CO2 and had problems. So, the issue of the cornie properly sealing is real.

Well it's been sitting since yesterday with no CO2 added. I pulled the relief valve and pressure was released. I feel confident saying it is sealed, or it would not have had built up pressure.

I have to throw a lil pressure in the keg to get my corny lids to seal properly. I thoroughly sanitize my seals and lid. After I pressurize them I spray distilled or boiled water over the tops. If the seals aren't seated properly, they bubble and I know to readjust.

Mine sealed without adding pressure.
Seems to me if the swing arm on the lid is not creating a seal you may need to put new feet on them to get the lid tighter against the top of the cornie.
new feet are $0.95 for a pair

sonvolt said:
First off - yes, you can prime in the keg. Much less priming sugar is needed. Additionally, the CO2 will push the air to the top of the keg. When I do this, I always vent the keg a few times as it pressurizes in order to force the O2 out.

so when priming with sugar in the keg, you should use less sugar?

Back