OK to pour hydro samples back into fermenter?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ghart999

Reaction score
Have a huge beer that I am constantly monitoring the gravity. Problem is I boiled off too much and only have 4.75G in primary. I hate to waste any with hydro samples.

Can I sanitize my hydro and cylinder, take my reading and pour it back in? Nervous of infection. But don't want to lose too much from readings either.

Thanks all.

I've done it before without problem but don't do it anymore. Really don't want to risk it and usually end up tasting it. How often are you monitoring it though?

Huge beer with a SG of 1.103 where I am adding champagne yeast to get it to drop more. Kind of died at 1.040 and I would really like to get into the 1.020's.

+1...Leve it alone!

Every time you sample it...you are risking an infection. And every sample you don't drink...makes you more and more into a girl.

Lessons learned.
1. Don't dink with your beer any more than you have to!
2. ALWAYS drink your samples!

Unless I suspect a problem like stuck fermentation I only pull a sample prior to fermentation, and prior to bottling (to assure it's done). No need to go messing around with it all the time.

You don't need to baby it..even though it is a big beer...you said you hit it with some more yeast so walk away from it...then take another grav reading in a couple weeks...AND DRINK THE SAMPLES

It's not really wasting it if you are crafting a beer...honestly to me, it's better to end up with 4 gallons of fantastic beer then 5 gallons of mediocre beer, and it sounds like you are striving for an excellant beer, so considering the hydro samples a sacrifice to ninkasi (and your tastebuds) for excellant beer...

If you have a beer thief, it is easy to take a hydrometer reading like a paratrooper. Swoop in, grab some wort, check your gravity, quickly return wort to fermenter.

Of course there's nothing wrong with drinking the sample either, but I don't very often.

I have never returned it, I always drink it!!! Plus I do not test/sample until I think it is time to keg it. Just trying to eliminate the possibility of infection.

Is it worth potentially ruining 5 gallons of beer to save 1/2 cup? Not for me...That works out to 32 samples per gallon.

A hydro sample looks much bigger than it actually is. It takes less than a cup to fill up the hydromothingy. Not worth the risk.

Apart from risking infection, which is somewhat unlikely if everything is sanitized real well, by pouring a sample back into a fermenter, you're introducing oxygen into the beer. This could cause some oxidation.

Back