Ok to pop and re-seal grolsch bottles?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mencken

Reaction score
I have a problem in that my batch is over carbonated. Is it ok to pop and re-seal my grolsch style bottles? The bottles are very carbonated, so I need to let some air out. Thanks

You can. I wouldn't think that in a short time you'll risk infection. You might risk oxidation as well. It could be a gamble, but if you want to, go for it.

i had an overcarbed barleywine that i vented 3 times - didn't hurt it a bit - all the co2 coming out prevented any 02 from coming in.

Burp away.

You'll always have SOME mixing, but it's not going to be enough to worry about.

If you are really worried, with the cap open, give the neck of the bottle a good hit against the heel of your hand. With the right amount of force, the beer will foam just enough to cover the top of the bottle. Re-cap on the foam and you can be sure that all the air is evacuated. Rinse the necks of all the bottles in warm water afterward to clean up any drips.

They do the same thing in commercial bottling lines with a high-pressure jet of water. You can get the same results with a sharp tap.

You know, or just burp them and don't worry about it. :cross:

Back