Ok to move to secondary?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Zappa42

Reaction score
My current batch has been in the primary for close to 2 weeks. The OG was 1.055. It has been at 1.020 gravity for about the past 5-6 days. The final gravity should be 1.014. It appears fermentation has ceased as the gravity has not changed in some time. Can I go ahead and move it to my secondary? Any suggestions on the gravity?

Hmmm. That's a tough one. You know you shouldn't transfer it until it's done- but it seems sort of stuck. Maybe you have lots of unfermentables in there, and can't expect it to go lower, so if you post the recipe, that might help.

Sometimes it drops a couple of points after you rack, but you really can't depend on that. Did you try some gentle swirling to rouse the yeast a little bit? Is it at a nice temperature for the yeast?

YooperBrew said:
Hmmm. That's a tough one. You know you shouldn't transfer it until it's done- but it seems sort of stuck. Maybe you have lots of unfermentables in there, and can't expect it to go lower, so if you post the recipe, that might help.

Sometimes it drops a couple of points after you rack, but you really can't depend on that. Did you try some gentle swirling to rouse the yeast a little bit? Is it at a nice temperature for the yeast?

It was a kit I bought. It had the following plus some hops.
Extract: 7 lbs. Liquid Malt Extract, .5 lb. Base Grains, 1 lb. Specialty Grains.

The fermentation tems have been 68-70. After the first day it got up to 74 and I had to cool it down but once it went down it stayed down.

I had my Wit stuck and tried the swirling of the fermenter to rouse the yeast, but nothing seemed to work. I did end up transferring to the secondary, and after about three to five days I ended up hitting the F.G. I was looking for. My gravity readings were almost the exact same as yours.

So I would say, YES rousing the yeast up by gently swirling will help. However if still not change then you should rack it to the secondary.

DeathBrewer said:
i would definitely give it a nice swirl and let it sit for another week.

+1.

My last one got stuck. Swirling and upping the temp to 70 got it started again. Now I'm just hoping it finishes soon so I can brew again!

Latest posts

Back