ok so here I am.....

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

newguy

Reaction score
So here is the deal. I've brewed quite a few batches of HB and I think I would like to try some mead. Now I tried mead one time at a SCA event many years ago and well...let's just say if memory serves it wasn't very good. Most likely just not done right.

Anyhoo....so I want to try it out and see if I like it. Now I don't want to do a 5 gallon batch for fear that I might not like it. So I was thinking maybe a gallon batch to start off with.

I've been doing a lot of reading on the making and I think all thats fine and should have a problem with that. I have 2 glass gallon jugs I was going to use for a primary and secondary.

Now a traditional honey mead sounds...ok but I'd like to spice it up with some fruit. Now I've been reading about a lot of different fruits and many sound good.

Can anyone help me out with a 1 gallon recipe? Also fruits I like or was considering was,

cherry
orange
pomegranate
raspberry

I was actually thinking of a cherry clove mix might be tasty, but I wanted to get your guys/gals opinions first and maybe get some recipe formulation help as well.

Thanks in advance!

cheers,

First off i would not just make 1 gallon for three reasons one you are going to want to try it yearly, two other people are going to want to try it and three it taste better the longer it sits.

That set asside, my wife and i just made a finominal raspberry mead. It is a sweet mead and Everyone has enjoyed it.

one bag frozen raspberries
10lb of clover honey
Fresh greated orange peel
two teaspoons lemonjuice
Sweet mead yeast

Poor all raspberries in to a pot and begin too cook down for a simple suryp.
Add orange peel and lemon juice with one cup of honey let it cook down until you have a nice simple suryp.

Meanwhile heat the remaining honey in 3 gallons of water to make a must but do not exceed 150 degrees. in last 5 minutes of Heat time (30 minutes) add your suryp. cool using normal method and poor into carboy. Top off to 5 gallons and add yeast. before adding your lock additate vigerously. primary is about 1 mounth and secondary is 2. It is good right out of the shoot but is better after 6 mounths.

Cheers and good luck

Back