Ok, so fermentation finaly started. Now what?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DNW

Reaction score
I started my first lager Sunday. I proved the adage "a little knowledge is a dangerous thing". It wasn't until I was actually into the boil that I realized I really should have done a starter.

My recipe was 6# extralight LME and 1# extralight DME. I used one vial WLP German Lager Yeast.

So here's the deal. I had started it with the expectation that primary would be done before I left for vacation next Friday and I would start lagering. Well it's obviously off to a slower start than I was anticipating. I decided I should pitch and start fermentation at about 70 degrees since I hadn't done a starter and didn't want to delay things too much. Finally tonight (48 hours after pitch) I'm just starting to see some activity. So far I've experienced strong fermentation within 8-12 hours...

So now I'm thinking maybe I should take it right down to 50-55 to complete fermentation and leave it until I get back from vaca (it will be three weeks from pitch if I do that). Any concern about lowering the temp at this stage? I don't want it to stick, but I'd like to get it down before too much more time passes.

well you pitched the yeast at a fairly high temp. usually you pitch it at your primary temp, then let it rest for 48 hours at room temperature, then after that you can begin the lagering. remember, no more than 5 degrees per day until you reach your primay temp which should be 55. then 21 days in the primary, then rest at room temp for another 48 hours, then rack into secondary, then lager to 45-48 degrees for 21 days (do not decrease any more than 5 degrees per day) and youre done.

Bring it down over the next 24 hours and leave it at 50F until you get back. I pitch lagers warm and cool once growth stops and fermentation starts. With a big starter, this can be a matter of hours; without, a couple days.

Bring it down over the next 24 hours and leave it at 50F until you get back. I pitch lagers warm and cool once growth stops and fermentation starts. With a big starter, this can be a matter of hours; without, a couple days.

What he said. Then do a d-rest when you get back.

Ok, that was my inclination but it's good to get advice from people that know what they're doing.

Thanks!

Back