ok so am i doing it right ?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

maxpower

Reaction score
Feel like I am shagging for the 1st time, not knowing what is supposed to happen. " is it in there?, can you feel it?" hahaha :off:

ok, so i pulled the fermenter out of the inlaws garage gave it a mean sani and a good rince. then heated up the can poured in the water, wort and sugar watched the temp then added the yeast. Now, do you mix the yeast in?, or just sprinkle on top? they did not say on the instructions. Then I realized no lid, crap! so I whipped up a cling wrap lid and put a towel over that and a rectangular lid to cover that and keep the stuff under that tight. Will this work or do I have the condom on backwards? I also noticed on day 2 (today) that there is a tiny bit of head on top and a what looks like a white build up at the bottom. I swear i mixed the crap out of it before adding yeast. Please help!!

maxpower said:
Feel like I am shagging for the 1st time, not knowing what is supposed to happen. " is it in there?, can you feel it?" hahaha :off:

ok, so i pulled the fermenter out of the inlaws garage gave it a mean sani and a good rince. then heated up the can poured in the water, wort and sugar watched the temp then added the yeast. Now, do you mix the yeast in?, or just sprinkle on top? they did not say on the instructions. Then I realized no lid, crap! so I whipped up a cling wrap lid and put a towel over that and a rectangular lid to cover that and keep the stuff under that tight. Will this work or do I have the condom on backwards? I also noticed on day 2 (today) that there is a tiny bit of head on top and a what looks like a white build up at the bottom. I swear i mixed the crap out of it before adding yeast. Please help!!

The "Head" Is Co2 escaping from the yeast eating the sugar, stuff at the bottom is "Yeast ****" or Dog Poop like someone on here once said everything is fine dont worry everything seems to be working alright, But in the future get yourself a lid!

I don't think I have ever seen a brew day written up like this. It sounds like everything is going good though.

Yea your beer should be fine - Relax, dont worry, have a homer brew (or any beer will do) In the future you will probly want a lid for your fermenter - it help keeps the flies (and everythng else) out :)

good call, i will check out the howtobrew.com.
about the yeast though, do you sprinkle in over top or stir it in, I went with my gut an stirred it in a it. While writing this i was talking to my sales manager and he says either way is fine.

Now my next question is that they say in the instructions to bottle after 6 days at the temp its at and allow the 2ndary ferementation to take place in the bottle (i am using plastic screw tops) but be sure to prime the bottles with 1g of sugar/L.
Does this sound right? Should I do a glass carbouy thing or whats the call ?

maxpower said:
good call, i will check out the howtobrew.com.
about the yeast though, do you sprinkle in over top or stir it in, I went with my gut an stirred it in a it. While writing this i was talking to my sales manager and he says either way is fine.

Now my next question is that they say in the instructions to bottle after 6 days at the temp its at and allow the 2ndary fermentation to take place in the bottle (i am using plastic screw tops) but be sure to prime the bottles with 1g of sugar/L.
Does this sound right? Should I do a glass carbouy thing or whats the call ?

With the yeast, it's probably best to rehydrate it separately, then add it to the wort. If you're adding it directly to the wort, I would probably sprinkle it on, let it sit, then stir it in. Either way should work, though, it's just a matter of how much of the yeast survives the re-hydration process. They're do their job, it just might not be ideal.

I would leave it longer than 6 days before bottling, atleast 2 weeks most of the time, or longer if fermentation is very slow. Then you would add the priming sugar and bottle, but 1g/L doesn't sound like enough. Depending on style, people usually use 3-5 oz of corn sugar per 5 gal batch, which translates to 85-140g in 19L.

i guess i shudda mentioned that I am brewing a Cooper's Real ale. it is around 21 in there so yeah i will leave it longer before transfering to bottles.

Hey I just started a batch of Coopers Real Ale today - I was going to try the dark ale but the local brew store was sold out. I have brewed it before you will be surprised how dark it turns out - is a nice beer though.

We will have to compare and see how ours turned out :)

I usually don't stir but I do agitate the fermenter (roll it around and swirl it) after adding the yeast. I guess that'd be hard to do without a lid...

grasshopper1917 said:
Hey I just started a batch of Coopers Real Ale today - I was going to try the dark ale but the local brew store was sold out. I have brewed it before you will be surprised how dark it turns out - is a nice beer though.

We will have to compare and see how ours turned out :)

Absolutely !! I am so excited to see how it turns out. The little thermometer on the side says 21 so I will leave it for 6 days so on sunday I will transfer it to my new carbouy and stare at till its ready. I can email some pics

when you say your thermometer reads "21" is that C or F? I am assuming C, otherwise you got yourself some really cold/frozen beer:D

maxpower said:
Absolutely !! I am so excited to see how it turns out. The little thermometer on the side says 21 so I will leave it for 6 days so on sunday I will transfer it to my new carbouy and stare at till its ready. I can email some pics

Cool I'll send ya some pics of mine too - I have an old batch that still has some bottles left i'll send ya apic of that as well os ya can see the color - turned out nice

well here is is, tasted so good and so proud of my self for my sugar, wort, water mixing and leave it skills

1stbatch.jpg

Back