OK Hops

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

vmabuck

Reaction score
I think I have the field setup for now.

I am using a Single-pole trellis design. I might add another modern trellis setup in the center if I get my hands on some more rhizomes. But for now this will be fine for the four varieties I am growing. And it will allow me to plant some stuff in the center.

I already planted potatoes one one edge of the field. Is there any other plant that is good to grow around hops?

Can't wait for these rhizomes to show up!

n4wbw4.jpg

250j8u8.jpg

33xv89k.jpg

Looks great! I have clover planted around my rows to keep the weeds in check, different situation though. Good luck with it!

Alrighty,

So the hops are growing well now except for the Chinook, they did not grow for some reason. All of the rhizomes rotted.

But the question now is what do I do with the offshoots of the plants that are taking off? I put three shoots on each string but they are starting to throw shoots off up the line.

Should I clip those off or incorporate them into the bine?

2ake4ba.jpg

33nb4zt.jpg

Those are sidearms. You want those because that's where the bulk of your hop cones will come from. If you don't want a wild and crazy mess, you can gently and loosely intertwine them into the main bine. Its awesome that tour rizomes are doing so well. Sorry about the Chinooks. Mine are leading the pack right now of my first year plants.

Those are sidearms. You want those because that's where the bulk of your hop cones will come from. If you don't want a wild and crazy mess, you can gently and loosely intertwine them into the main bine. Its awesome that tour rizomes are doing so well. Sorry about the Chinooks. Mine are leading the pack right now of my first year plants.

Awesome, thank you!

Ya, it was strange about those, all three just failed. Maybe they do not like the soil here. That is Cascade in the picture and they are leading the race by far but everything is on the line now and growing.

I am going to have to make another path for the Cascade at this rate. Would it be okay to take them across horizontally?

Awesome, thank you!

Ya, it was strange about those, all three just failed. Maybe they do not like the soil here. That is Cascade in the picture and they are leading the race by far but everything is on the line now and growing.

I am going to have to make another path for the Cascade at this rate. Would it be okay to take them across horizontally?

Your situation is the opposite of mine, my Cascade is floundering. At only 4 feet, the bines are spindly and thin. Super fragile. I have to be careful with it. My 3rd year nugget is killing the rest of them. Its pushing 16 feet with a few 3 foot sidearms that showed up on Sunday. The growth on that one is spectacular. I can't wait until the other four are producing like this.

Your situation is the opposite of mine, my Cascade is floundering. At only 4 feet, the bines are spindly and thin. Super fragile. I have to be careful with it. My 3rd year nugget is killing the rest of them. Its pushing 16 feet with a few 3 foot sidearms that showed up on Sunday. The growth on that one is spectacular. I can't wait until the other four are producing like this.

All of these are first year.

I already cannot wait until next year to see how each strain takes off. It will be a much better tell on which kinds will do well in my area...

Went out to wrap those offshoots and saw these.

Are these cones already??

rckfaf.jpg

The only PITA is keeping up with the weeds around here on that plot. Johnson grass grows like a motha!

Hopefully after weeding out about a thousand of them they will not be as thick next year LOL!

Back