OK here's a dumb question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

EvilTOJ

Reaction score
I have my Mystery Lacto Pilsner that's smelling wonderful and I want to bottle it soon. It's been infected almost a year and seems to be pooping out and ready to go. I don't know what's growing in it, it's leftover from my horrible apartment days. Uhm.... is there anything special you do for bottling a sour beer? I mean besides giving the bottling bucket a Bleach Nuke afterwards, that is.

I think I'd use a seperate bucket for that. I've never made anything like that before, but it seems like you could never be sure to get all of the bugs out. I could be wrong though.

I think I'd use a seperate bucket for that. I've never made anything like that before, but it seems like you could never be sure to get all of the bugs out. I could be wrong though.

Or you could first bleach the bucket, then dump out the bleach, and put several gallons of boiling hot water in it (assuming it doesn't melt in the process), then once the water has cooled, dump it out and spray the bucket with your normal no-rinse sanitizer. I think that would kill off any unwanted bugs pretty well for futures bottlings.

I already know all about bleaching. Bleach is a good sterilizer and I've used it before after I've (inadvertently) bottled infected batches. Letting the bucket and equipment soak in a bleach bath then hot rinse works just fine.

I was more wondering about if I have to pitch more yeast, or add any special sugar or something or just bottle like I do with other 'regular' batches.

Whatever you do, DON'T transfer the beer in the same area you do your normal beers. That bacteria will end up everywhere, especially if it's pediococcus (thin or thick film on top and very hard to eradicate from your brewery).

Back