Oily mash runoff

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

creekwaterbrew

Reaction score
Hey guys, brewing with a new ballington SS pot I got on eBay. Used star san but did not scrub vigorously. I threw it on the burner to heat up mash water, which I dumped in my mash tun. When I was running the mash off, I noticed a rainbowish film on the surface. I finished brewing and kegged it. 4 months later and it tastes pretty funny. I'm wondering if the rainbow film was from oil on the pot, or from using too much heat on the pot. I rinsed the pot off and there is some rainbowish discoloration on the bottom of the empty pot. Any advice is much appreciated. Thanks!

Starsan is not a cleanser. It is only a surface sanitizer. You should use something like oxyclean or PBW to clean all of your equipment, (no soap).

You only need to use the Starsan on anything that touches your wort after the boil.

Slow_Day said:
Starsan is not a cleanser. It is only a surface sanitizer. You should use something like oxyclean or PBW to clean all of your equipment, (no soap). You only need to use the Starsan on anything that touches your wort after the boil.

Thanks for the advice

Starsan is not a cleanser. It is only a surface sanitizer. You should use something like oxyclean or PBW to clean all of your equipment, (no soap).

You only need to use the Starsan on anything that touches your wort after the boil.

Sort of....
Stars an is an acid (which kills things) and a weting agent. It will work well on certain things like beer stone or calcium deposits. PBW is a cleanser which is good at organic stuff (similar use to caustic in a brewery).
Soap is OK IF you rinse it well. Dish soap has wetting agents which can impact head retention, although as with everything it comes down to concentration.
With all new brewing equipment I clean with dish soap then hot pbw (near boiling if it is stainless) then a quick starsan wash. (Hot side will probably never see starsan again).

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Home Brew mobile app

Oxyclean is a very good cleaner, however make sure to get the Oxyclean free, which has NO additives like perfumes and dyes. I've switched to Oxyclean since I can get it cheaper and easier at my local grocery store, my LHBS is about an hour from me.

My brew system is not in my house, it lives in my 30x40 pole barn, while undercover when not in use I still clean the hell out of all three vessels before brewing, not a soak but good scrubbing with a no scratch dish scrubbing pad and a good rinse after.

Not really, my keg is back home. I am out of town. I have no problem dumping the batch. I'd just hate to have to buy a new keg and kettle due to "contamination". So basically, if it is oil, can I clean the equipment to be safe for a future batch?

Used star san but did not scrub vigorously. I threw it on the burner to heat up mash water, which I dumped in my mash tun. When I was running the mash off, I noticed a rainbowish film on the surface. I finished brewing and kegged it. 4 months later and it tastes pretty funny. I'm wondering if the rainbow film was from oil on the pot,

Hmmm... ya think?
Cleanliness is paramount. Live and learn.

Hmmm... ya think?
Cleanliness is paramount. Live and learn.
if it is oil from the pot, what is the best course of action in cleaning the pot and keg? basically, is the equipment reusable? or should i acquire new pot and keg? (btw, im aware how ridiculous this sounds, but confirmation never hurts)

thanks!

Most likely you already removed the machining oil residue with your beer brewing activity, but if you make up a thick paste of PBW and give the insides a good scrubbing with a tough sponge followed by a thorough rinse you'll never have that oil sheen again...

Cheers!

Back