Oil slick!!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

newfiebrew

Reaction score
Hey guys, I have an issue and im not sure whats causing it. All of my brews turned out ok (5g all grains) but it seems like I always have a oil slick or greasy film kinda thing floating atop my beer in my glass carboys.Its pretty translucent and not thick like a infection could this be due to very alkaline water and starstan? It doesnt seem to ever get worse over time its just always there???

I use oxyclean to clean everything and starsan to sanitize usually with cold tap water.Maybe its the oxyclean or not rinsing well enough using hot water anyone else get this oil slick like film on top of there brews???

Maybe i should clean and sanitize with DI water as I can get it for free from work???

thanks

Jamie.

Even w/o dry hopping its there,its even on top of my wifes wine thats fermenting right now. Maybe I should bleach the crap outta all my carboys???

weird???

Back