Oh S&%# - 1 gal of iodophor solution in the fermenter!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Crayz

Reaction score
Okay, as embarrassing as it is to admit... (it was late, so...)

When preparing to drain the wort from my last batch into the fermenter: I shook the 1 gallon of 15ppm iodophor solution around in my carboy, then set it on the floor in my kitchen. I thought, hmmmm... you should just dump that before you forget. Well, I grabbed the kettle and moved it to the counter above the fermenter, hooked up a hose, and began racking. Once the level reached where I thought it should in the carboy, I looked into the kettle to see how much was left; and yeah, there was about a gallon.... Strange I thought. Stopped the flow, thought about it for a couple minutes and couldn't figure out why. Oh well, I guess I misjudged something. So I pitched the yeast and got started cleaning my equipment so I could go to bed.

Not long after I realized what I had done! Racked right onto the sanitizing solution! ****!

It really sucks because my backlog of beers to brew won't allow me to try again for at least a few batches!

So my question is, aside from off flavors and smells (which I am fully expecting), would it be safe to drink? I know iodine is toxic if the mount is too high. I didn't even expect it to start fermenting, but it is fermenting like that solution had extra yeast nutrients!

Okay, let the laughter and razzing begin, so long as you include a serious response too!

I did about the same thing I added about 1-2 cups of one-step? to top off a batch of wine. :mad: Not that this helps you but it may make you feel better.:mug:

I am not really considering it, but that doesn't answer my question. More for the sake of curiosity did I ask!

My guess would be it won't even ferment, I don't think the yeast will survive.

From the MSDS, BTF Iodophor:
INGESTION: Ingestion causes burns of the upper digestive and respiratory tracts.

I'm gonna go with, even diluted, dump it.

Yeah, plans to dump it, but strangely enough it is fermenting like crazy! I would have thought the same thing as you Osborn.

If you add campden to tap water, chlorine will precipate out of solution. Is there a similar addition for Iodine? I do not know.

If you could ensure that you dropped the iodine out, then you would just have diluted wort.

I am not saying drop a campden tablet in your wort, and drink it. I'm just typing my thoughts.

Maybe call poison control, and tell them you drank Iodophor, diluted to 5 gallons; would not be hard to calculate the ratio. It was an accident after cleaning your kitchen ;) See what they say. It's clearly not strong enough to counteract the yeast.

Congrats, you found one of the few situations where "dump it" is the correct and highly suggested route. ;) Condolences on the screw up, that sucks man.

If mixed in proper strength, the 1G of iodophor solution will sanitize the inner surfaces of the fermenter that the liquid comes into contact with for a few minutes. Once the 1G is diluted with 4-5G of wort, the iodophor levels are only a fraction of their original levels. It will probably not taste great, but it will probably not hurt the yeast much.

Whether or not it will taste good is another issue...plus the beer will be diluted and be a lower OG than planned. The dosage I use is approximately 3ml iodophor per gallon. If you mixed in an additional 5G wort to this, your final concentration should be around 2.5ppm. I would be curious if after three weeks the iodine would even be detectable, or if it would all have sublimated out of solution.

I would let it ferment out and see what happens. maybe it will end up in the "stupid things I did and my beer turned out fine thread."

I don't think the proper amount of iodophor mixed in five gallons would even be tasteable. I'm not sure how the yeast will react with it. It might taste like cough syrup. Who knows. But at least if you finish it, we'll all know for sure!

Let us know what happens.

http://www.austinhomebrew.com/product_info.php?products_id=2221

You could try iodine test strips to see the iodine levels ?

I would also call poison control and ask if (and at what level of iodine) it would be safe to drink .

I had a Porter I never took the blow-off tube off of and it sucked in about a quart of sanitizer and blow-off crap the day I was going to keg it ! I pitched the whole batch !

This is giving me visions of the movie "Super Size Me" where Morgan Spurlok calls his brother after 25 days and says he's going to quit. His brother convinces him to keep going.

If it's not killing the yeast, I bet they clean it up.

the cleaner is diluted 15 ppm, what fraction of that is actually iodine then?

I'm kind of being funny above, but what does it smell like? Send me a bottle I'll test it for you.

I wonder if the fermentation/CO2 will help scrub it out?

I feel bad if I forget to drain/purge the long dip tube before filling so I can only imagine the pain.:(

When hikers use iodine to treat drinking water, the targeted concentration of iodine in the treated water is 4 - 5 ppm. So it sounds like you're within the acceptable range. Water treated like that tends to smell and taste a bit like when you open a box of bandaids - but it's not overwhelming. I dunno if it would be strong enough to be detected in your beer.

I say you should take this beer to completion...

FOR SCIENCE! :cross:

Here's a website about disinfecting water with Iodine:
http://wwwnc.cdc.gov/travel/content/water-treatment.aspx

Tincture of Iodine - measure out your dose to water.

1. If using tincture of iodine 2% solution, add 5 drops to a Liter or Quart of clear water. If the water is cloudy, add 10 drops per Liter or Quart. (Note: 20 drops=1 ml.)
2. Allow the water to stand for 30 minutes before drinking when the water temperature is at least 25°C (77°F). Increase the standing time for colder water: (e.g., for each 10° less than 25°C (77°F), allow the water to stand for double the time before drinking it.

I think Iodophor is 1.6% iodine, let's assume it's the same as the 2% for the sake of simplicity. If you have 19L of wort, you're safe to add 190 "drops" or 9.5ml (about 1/3oz).

Or not. Who knows. I bet it still tastes like ass though.

I don't think the proper amount of iodophor mixed in five gallons would even be tasteable.

This.

Leave some iodophore out on a counter, and come back in a couple days. It'll be clear. The stuff either evaporates or precipitates out.

I wouldn't dump it yet, more out of curiousity. I probably also wouldn't bottle it until I tasted it. Bottling is a lot of work!

From the Wikipedia page, Its major advantage over other sanitizers is that when used in proper proportions it sublimes directly from solution to gas, and hence leaves no residues.

Good luck, my prediction is that it will be fine, but a bit diluted :)

This thread is cracking me up! I fully planned and pitching it but my curiosity got the best of me and lead me to post my mistake here.

So, in the name of science, I will give it a try tonight! It's been a week and a half, so I will take a gravity reading, taste it and let you know. It you don't hear back, then assume there was too much iodine and I died! Kidding kidding...

Congrats, you found one of the few situations where "dump it" is the correct and highly suggested route. ;) Condolences on the screw up, that sucks man.

yes one of the few times id agree and id almost never agree with the waste of beer now lets all grab a drink and give it the 21 brew salute

I keep trying to figure out what kind of color addition I can expect from 3ml iodophor ... Beersmith doesn't have an SRM listed for it... ideas?

:)

I just did the same thing! Decided to pitch it and see what happens because the yeast would have gone to waste anyways, though I'll probably come to my senses and dump it tomorrow. I'm just still in shock and not ready to let go of my batch :(

If you had 1 gallon of 15 ppm, you now have 5 gallons of 3 ppm. The lethal dose of Iodine is 2-4 grams, and you've got 55 mg total in the whole 5 gallon batch.

I wouldn't be afraid to drink a pint or two as long as it tastes good. You're going to get approximately 1 milligram of iodine per pint.

By the way, the body needs 12 or so mg of iodine per day. The only thing I'd be concerned about is what else is in iodophor. If it's PVP or some other stabilizer, you're probably still ok as that stuff just passes through.

I'd let it ferment and drink it if it doesn't taste too nasty.

I've sipped iodophor mixed at proper rates (curiosity) - it's nasty but wouldn't be so bad diluted 4x and with it's flavor covered up by beer. My prediction is that you'll have a medicinal flavor to your beer but that it'll be drinkable...

Well, my batch is 3 gallons of jamil wit and my first attempt at all-grain. It's fermenting away right now. I'll post the results when it's ready and I've tried it.

I bet it is fine. The stuff goes inert rather quickly. Then consider all of the CO2 produced in the fermentation and that further facilitates removing the Iodine gas from the solution. I say drink it.

When hikers use iodine to treat drinking water, the targeted concentration of iodine in the treated water is 4 - 5 ppm. So it sounds like you're within the acceptable range. Water treated like that tends to smell and taste a bit like when you open a box of bandaids - but it's not overwhelming. I dunno if it would be strong enough to be detected in your beer.

Some sporting goods stores sell iodine/neutralizers with their iodine water purification tabs... as a BSA leader I've had questionable creek water purified with iodine, it sucks... but after the taste neutralizer tabs it's not bad.... tastes a bit like chemicals.... but not bad. I probably wouldn't drink it but a neutralizer may help. maybe do an iodine test strip figure out if it's in the "safe range" and the neutralizer needed.... and then give it to your worst enemy... or my ex's new husband... to see if it's "safe" lol.

Back