Oh no

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lazarus0530

Reaction score
So I popped open my beer today an EBA I had it sitting at about 68 degrees in the bottles for about 10 days now. I didn't refrigerate any of them yet. I just walked into my beer "den" (ok it's a closet but what ever ) I ripped open the bottle and fooooosh it came bubble'n out of there like a 17 year old male on prom night. Is there something I didn't do right? I forget what the fg was but it was in range of what it was suppose to be for three days when I bottled it. And can I stop this some how?

I would let it sit for at least 10 days more. When carbonation is not finished, the excess gases in the headspace can cause gushing. After at least 2 weeks, try throwing one in the fridge for 24+ hours. The colder temps will help force the co2 into solution in the beer.

sounds like you've got good carbonation, which is good. First, I'd try chilling some bottles down for four or five days in the fridge. If that doesn't help your problem, you can always decant your beers in a pitcher or large glass about 15 minutes before you drink them.

Try giving it a 15 min ice bath before but better to give it 3 weeks. Then a few days in the fridgeI usually end up trying one before 2 weeks,and personally i havent been disapointed. Ive never tried drinking one room temp before 3 weeks but i would imagine it would foam and gush.

So it still can be saved!!! Woooopeeeee! I tell ya what! besides the crazy stuff it tasted pretty good! Never had a eba before and I enjoyed that one . This darn home brew'n thang is the shez nit!

Your problem is likely that you opened them warm.

Always chill before opening. Warm liquids can't hold as much CO2 as cold liquids. If you chill a bottle for 48 hours that makes sure there's time for the CO2 to be absorbed from the headspace into the beer. Opening one before you do that won't tell you ANYTHING about the carbonation of the beer.

i would let it sit for at least 10 days more. When carbonation is not finished, the excess gases in the headspace can cause gushing. After at least 2 weeks, try throwing one in the fridge for 24+ hours. The colder temps will help force the co2 into solution in the beer.

+1

wait two more weeks on top of the 10 days you have waited for proper carbonation

I would let it sit for at least 10 days more. When carbonation is not finished, the excess gases in the headspace can cause gushing. After at least 2 weeks, try throwing one in the fridge for 24+ hours. The colder temps will help force the co2 into solution in the beer.

I'm not so sure you're right on this. The CO2 gas will always work to be in equilibrium with the gas in the beer, so you'll get some fluctuation over the course of bottle aging, but the trend will always be more CO2 in the headspace until you chill the bottle, allowing more CO2 to absorb into the beer. I suppose this would depend on the rate of CO2 production, but I don't think bottle carbing creates CO2 quickly enough to cause any great disparity in equilibrium at room temperature.

Also, if he has that much Co2 already then he likely has a good carb level and can try throwing a beer in the fridge now, letting it sit at least 24 hours (I prefer 48 with bottle conditioned beer) before cracking it open.

The problem is that the CO2 in a warm liquid will come out of solution MUCH faster. So, when you open it, there can be a great release in pressure, a gush and then flat beer after that.

They probably need more time, yes... I'm just saying not to judge them as overcarbonated because of the results of opening one of them warm.

fridgify em for 2 weeks.

My theory on fridging for 2 weeks is, man, i could be letting them condition at room temp for another 1 1/2 weeks then in the fridge a few days instead of chilling 2 weeks, i can never come to with 2 weeks in the fridge.Not enough disicpline with that i guess.:mug:
Although i made it almost a week once.

jonmohno said:
My theory on fridging for 2 weeks is, man, i could be letting them condition at room temp for another 1 1/2 weeks then in the fridge a few days instead of chilling 2 weeks, i can never come to with 2 weeks in the fridge.Not enough disicpline with that i guess.:mug:
Although i made it almost a week once.

Wait so your sayn let them sit for 10 more days or put them in the fridge now?

Im sayin its two more weeks it will conditon rather than get crystal clear and pretty.Two more weeks it will evolve.If you like the taste then go for it i would compare the two and have yet to do it but its all still beer really.

jonmohno said:
Im sayin its two more weeks it will conditon rather than get crystal clear and pretty.Two more weeks it will evolve.If you like the taste then go for it i would compare the two and have yet to do it but its all still beer really.

Honestly I don't care about how clear it is. I just don't want to give someone a beer and they think I f'd it up. Like I said it's been 10 days at 68 degrees. Your saying let them sit for another 14 then put em in the fridge? I was just tryn to figure it out this Is my second batch. So I'm brand new at it. My first batch was "ok" but I didnt have this problem.

If they're fizzy now, toss 'em in the fridge overnight (well, toss a few and see how they do). They should calm down by then. If not, its possible you av a gusher infection.

McGarnigle said:
If they're fizzy now, toss 'em in the fridge overnight (well, toss a few and see how they do). They should calm down by then. If not, its possible you av a gusher infection.

NOOOOO!!!!! It tasted good. Now I'm in panic mode!

How much suger did you bottle with? Was it a full 5 gallons? I made a Russian Stout that lost about a gallon to trub. I bottled with the same amount of sugar as for a 5 gallon. Batch, and they were all over-carbed. Every single one was a gusher. They tasted great after they blew off some CO2, but they were a pain. But a lesson learned.

I let mine sit in the bottles for 3 weeks. This past Sunday,time up. Crystal clear,into the fridge for 5 days. 2nd day,(today) Chill haze is already starting to clear up. Should be fine for a Friday video tasting.

I usually bottle condition for at least 3 weeks before throwing 1 bottle in the fridge for 2 days. I will open that one and test it, it if is ready i throw a few more in. If it is not ready, (no head, flat, foam rushing out of bottles) then i will let them sit for another week and do the process over again

NOOOOO!!!!! It tasted good. Now I'm in panic mode!

Yeah...you're probably fine...RDWHAHB. I've got a batch that has been bottled for a month that gushes violently at room temp, and it still gushes slowly when refrigerated for days. Thought I infected it, but finally figured out I just used too much sugar (primed with honey for the first time and followed some bad advice on the amount to use). I've found that uncapping/recapping the bottles after they have been chilled for a few days allows them to gas off for a little bit and a new equilibrium to form, resulting in lower carbonation levels in the recapped bottles.

Thanx guys your the best. No doubt you guys are far more knowledgeable then me and for that I toast you.

Back