Oh geeze, I am a DORK

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

phooka

Large Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Okay, so as part of my ongoing drive to start doing AG I put together my setup to grind my own grains. I bought a crankenstein and mounted it today. The instructions said run a couple of pounds of grain through it to clean the rollers. I was going to do a brew today (partial mash) and figured I'd add a pound or so of extra 2-row to my recipe.

I forgot to dump the stuff I ran through to clean the rollers. Oops.

Not thinking, I brewed my partial mash. I happened to notice a very slight uhm .. slick on the top of the cooling wort, but didn't think anything of it - at least until now that I've started drinking this evening and realized just wtf that oil slick was.

:confused: What to do? My natural inclination is to just let it go. After all, I have swallowed gasoline, turpentine and even 90W gear oil (don't ask) and lived to tell about it.

dale

I say let it go. I've seen what looks like oil slicks on top of wort before, and the beer turned out fine. If you don't like the taste it's imparted into the beer then dump it. Otherwise, it's an unofficial adjunct.

Good thing about oil... it doesn't mix with water. Skim it off the top and you might not even notice it in the finished product. Of course, it might be the bestest beer of all time, so you might want to get a patent for petroleum-infused ale just in case. :cross:

You might want to eat some, uh, roughage to limit the, uh, rate of egress of said oil slick.

I vote for 'Thundering Porcelain Ale'.

I've done that with a turkey cooker post that I thought was spotless until I boiled water in it. Don't freak, it'll get emulsified with the krausen.

I'm drinking some "oil brew" as we speak. Mmmm...

Back