Oh crap, I bottled the wrong beer!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

944play

Reaction score
Went to California for a week, and left two unmarked primary buckets in the fridge. Today I came back and decided to bottle up my Belhaven. Well, too many Plinys and too little sleep over the week kept me from noticing that I pulled my DT bucket out! :cross: Boiled the corn sugar and sanitized the bottles on total autopilot....

So now I have 5 gallons of big, green Belgian beer in longnecks, Belhaven boppers, and Guinness 22s with only 3oz priming sugar! Right now I'm guessing I just have a LONG time to wait for a sorta flat beer that isn't horribly, bitterly green. It just takes longer to age in bottles, but they eventually get there, right? Should I pop them open and add some carbtabs?

Vitalstats:
OG 1.082 FG 1.010 - 88% apparent, 9.4% abv(!)
WLP530 67F for two days then slowly raised to 75F over two weeks (or as close as I can get with swapping ice bottles in a cooler). Cold conditioned at 45F for a week in the primary. Bottled while still cool, 50-55F?

And the hydro sample I just took of the Belhaven is so clean.. :(

Adding carbtabs would be a very good idea, but aging time isn't dependent on container size.

AS long as it was done fermenting you should fine. Add carb tabs if you want more carbonation. As stated above. aging will be just fine in bottles vs bulk.

Ok, just got some carb tabs and extra caps. I'm thinking three tabs per 12oz should bring it up to almost 3 volumes.

So lame. The plan was to secondary for about a month and then into champagne bottles at 3.5+ volumes. I'll have to be all apologetic when I give these as gif... er, turn them in for disposal.

Grrr, the carbtabs did not work. I have a flat, sweet, tasty, aromatic beer here. I guess a week in the fridge killed the yeast.

Let's say I was to make a WLP530 starter and use a syringe to add a few drops to each bottle at high kraeusen, speise style. Would it live, and give this beer a head? Would a different yeast be better?

This beer smells exactly like
product_detail_white.jpg

hold on, you put corn sugar in it, then bottled it, still green. then you opened the bottles, and added 3 carb tabs to each bottle, and resealed. all within a week?

these are going to take like 3 weeks at 70 degrees to be carbed up, but now they have received basically twice the sugar they need.
sorry man, i think in 2 weeks you're going to have 2 cases of bottle bombs..... or green beer at 6 volumes.

but hopefully i'm wrong and it works out perfectly.

EDIT: nevermind, i wasn't paying attention. i still think you need to wait before you'll see the results of the sugar + carb tabs

Went to California for a week, and left two unmarked primary buckets in the fridge..... :(

Ah, poor documentation strikes again! This is why everybody says to mark everything and keep logs in notebooks, etc. ;) But, I can understand getting into the auto-pilot zone and wigging out on the the most obvious little thing.

I hope it turns out OK for you...even if it is not what you are expecting! GOOD LUCK!

-Tripod

hold on, you put corn sugar in it, then bottled it, still green. then you opened the bottles, and added 3 carb tabs to each bottle, and resealed. all within a week?

these are going to take like 3 weeks at 70 degrees to be carbed up, but now they have received basically twice the sugar they need.
sorry man, i think in 2 weeks you're going to have 2 cases of bottle bombs..... or green beer at 6 volumes.

but hopefully i'm wrong and it works out perfectly.

The batch has 3oz dextrose and 3 tabs per bottle, which should be about 3 volumes. If I do have bottle bombs, at least they'll be blowing up inside a cooler! I just think this yeast is dead.

My experience has been that bottle fermentation happens within a day or two, and the rest of the time is for the CO2 to dissolve into the beer. This from feeling a plastic soda bottle (at least one per batch) firm up.

Luckily my 80/- survived the week in the fridge. It's conditioning very nicely.:rockin:

why were they in the fridge?! you want to carb at room temp

No, I put the primaries in the fridge. A week in Texas summer at ambient temp would not have been good. The 80/- survived, the DT apparently did not.

The DT bottles went into a cooler and I kept them around 70-75F using frozen soda bottles.

:off:Whirlfloc rox. I have my first clear beer, the Belhaven clone!

i didn't think cold killed yeast... dont you store your yeast packs in the fridge? sounds like they were put to bed not the grave. keep them around 70 -75 and maybe stir them up a bit?

Back