OG Way Off

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

srbelow

Reaction score
I did a partial mash today with 3lb maris otter pale, 1/2 lb victory, and 1/2 lb crystal 40. I used 9lb pilsen light LME.

I mashed the grain in 6qts water at 150-154F for 60 minutes and sparged with 6 qts at 170F. My OG came out to 1.062 @76F. Brewers Friend calculated it out to 1.080.

Does anyone know why it would be so low?

Did you mix it up good? Maybe not getting a true reading after adding water.

I would check hydrometer in the water first. Explained my low gravities right away

How was your post boil volume? Everything should have been well mixed by the end of the boil unless you added the LME at flameout. Your OG is what I would expect with only the LME.

How was your post boil volume? Everything should have been well mixed by the end of the boil unless you added the LME at flameout. Your OG is what I would expect with only the LME.

This. Volume and gravity determine where you should be at.

I'm thinking that CTS found the problem. After the boil I added a gallon of water to top off the batch (5.25G) and I didn't stir the wort up before I checked the gravity. Noob mistake, thanks for the replies.

I'm thinking that CTS found the problem. After the boil I added a gallon of water to top off the batch (5.25G) and I didn't stir the wort up before I checked the gravity. Noob mistake, thanks for the replies.

Not bad for not really knowing what I am doing. haha

Back