OG too low.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dnthmn2004

Reaction score
Brewed a True Brew Pale Ale and the OG was 1.020, but called for 1.040-1.050ish. I'm still new to brewing and didn't know how to fix it. I figured it would be ok and stuck it in the primary, but is there anything I should/could do?

You probably have nothing to worry about at all. This is a common problem with extract brews. The issue is usually not mixing really well before measuring. For some reason topping off with water causes enough stratification that OG readings are off. Since with extracts there is no efficiency issue, as long as you added the right amounts of extract and water, you can assume your OG is correct. In fact lots of extract brewers don't even bother measuring OG.

You probably have nothing to worry about at all. This is a common problem with extract brews. The issue is usually not mixing really well before measuring. For some reason topping off with water causes enough stratification that OG readings are off. Since with extracts there is no efficiency issue, as long as you added the right amounts of extract and water, you can assume your OG is correct. In fact lots of extract brewers don't even bother measuring OG.

What he said.

Thank you for putting my mind at ease. I'm very detail oriented and was very careful with measurement and timing, which is why I was a little taken back by the OG reading. If you say its fine, so be it! :)

Brewed a True Brew Pale Ale and the OG was 1.020, but called for 1.040-1.050ish. I'm still new to brewing and didn't know how to fix it. I figured it would be ok and stuck it in the primary, but is there anything I should/could do?

No worries, now you can just drink 7-10 a sitting instead of 3-4 :mug:

Back