OG quite lower than recipe states

HomeBrewTalk.com - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Community.

Help Support Homebrew Talk:

goaliemanpat

Reaction score
I brewed up a Nut Brown Extract kit last night. It was the first time I've been able to do a full boil with my new brew-pot and a darkstar burner. In all my previous brews Ive always been right near the OG stated in the directions. Not always on but right near. I took a reading of last nights batch and it read .032 when the directions said it should be around .044. I started with about 6 gallons in the pot to account for evaporation so I dont think I had to much water. Doing research last night someone mentioned checking the hydrometer. Right now my hydrometer is reading .990-.992 with just water so its seems to be off. Should I assume thats where the missing .010 is from my reading last night? What could make a hydrometer all of a sudden start misreading? Im stopping by the LHBS today to get a new hydrometer as Im brewing again this afternoon.

When doing full boils with a burner is there anything specific that I might have to pay more attention to compared to partial boils?

IslandLizard

Progressive Brewing
Staff member
Mod
Lifetime Supporter HBT Supporter
Reaction score
The paper slides down. Common problem.
Make sure you do your hydrometer readings at 60°F, or compensate for temperature.

Are you doing extract or all grain? Extract is usually spot on gravity wise as long as volume and fermentables are according to the recipe. With all grain it all depends on your mashing/sparging efficiency.

grem135

Reaction score
I think you will get better hop utilization with a full boil though peeps on here say it wont really affect the balance. Since neither of my full boils are ready to drink I'm just hoping they are right. They are the first with my 9 gal kettle and Darkstar burner. :)