OG question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sprintman82x

Reaction score
I just finished up with my second extract kit. I followed the instructions exactly as written and I was supposed to be at 1.040 for the og but I ended up at 1.052. After the wort was cooled I added 2 gallons of water to the fermenter and then transferred the wort and stirrethe! d for 2 minutes than aerated for 20 minutes pitched. This is how I did my first batch and hit the og. What did I do wrong? Will the batch be ok? What happen when you are that far off.

If it's all extract and you ended up with the proper volume, your OG has to be within the recipe specs....extract is 100% efficient.

Most likely your wort was stratified and the hydrometer reading was inaccurate.

No worries, it will come out fine!!

Extract has a set gravity, so you can't overshoot the OG unless you add extra sugars to your brew or your volume is low.

If neither of these is the case, it is also probable that you didn't mix your water and wort very well before you took the gravity reading.

Gravity is a measure of relative density, so the density has to be uniform throughout to get a good reading.

Your batch is going to be fine. Just follow good techiques from here on out and you are going to have a good beer. Chalk it up to experience, and make sure you mix your water and wort VERY well next time before you take your original gravity reading.

Good luck!

With extract, you should be close to the SG, as long as you have the right amount of water at the end. It seems that you mixed well, but that is usually the issue with taking an SG with an extract batch.
I wouldnt worry. If that is accurate, you will just have more alcohol.

Back