OG lower than expected

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

petrolSpice

Reaction score
So today (2nd batch) I made the following recipe for a honey american pale ale...

Fermentables:
6lb light liquid malt extract
1.5lb raw natural unfiltered honey, added at flameout

Steeping grains (steeped for ~35 mins):
1lb crystal 15
0.5lb pale wheat

Hops:
0.5oz cascade for 60min
2oz cascade for 30min
2oz cascade for 1min

Clarifier:
1/2 Whirfloc tab at 5 min

Yeast:
Safeale US-05, rehydrated

I did a 2.5 gallon boil for a 5 gal batch.

Brewer's friend says it should have an OG of 1.058, but it came out to ~1.050 with the hydrometer, and ~11.4 Brix with the refractometer. I'm thinking I put in too much water, perhaps my measurements on the carboy are off. What some other possible reasons for this? Or am I worrying too much?

Thanks!

was this a full boil or did you use top of water? If so the wort was probably not mixed completely. This will not hurt the beer at all just makes the of reading off.

Sent from my XT907 using Home Brew mobile app

The boil started at 2.5 gal. When it was done, I cooled the wort to room temp and put it in the fermentor. Then I added cold water to make a total of 5 gal. Then I thoroughly mixed it together and pulled out a sample about a minute later and let the sample sit for about 20 mins before taking a reading.

With the fermentation about 24 hours in, can I add sugar to increase the final ABV? If I can, what is the ideal method to do so?

Right away?
Wait awhile?
After the FG has been reached?
Add it in the secondary?

What kind of sugar would work? Money honey?

I would not add sugar. this will add alcohol but will dry out the beer also. I would let it ride. the a real gravity is probably find and if its not you will still have beer just with a slightly lower alcohol content.

Sent from my XT907 using Home Brew mobile app

Back