OG High

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

afreitag

Reaction score
I just brewed a holiday ale. The orginal gravity was supposed to be between 1.062 and 1.066. Took my reading and it was 1.070. Will that be a problem??

Odd that an extract recipe would list an OG range, normally it's pretty well known what it'll be.

As for any negative effects? Not really. It might stress your yeast out a bit, since 1.070 is pretty high gravity, but either it'll ferment out and you'll have a higher ABV beer than you had expected, or it might finish a few points higher than expected, leading it to possibly be a bit sweeter.

Generally, extract is a pretty exact science as far as OG goes. If you have the right volume, you'll have the right OG. So with that said, is it possible you have a bit less volume than the recipe intended?

Not a big problem, just not "ideal". You'll still end up with a perfectly good beer... probably.

It sounds like either you ended up with less volume than you needed (simple fix for next time: add a bit of water), or your hydrometer is slightly miscalibrated.

Do you use a bucket with a valve? If your poured your wort into your bucket, topped off with water without really stirring it up/pouring it back and forth to mix it up, its possible that if you took your gravity sample from the valve at the bottom of the bucket, it was drawing a more concentrated, sugary part of the wort due to stratification.

The wort near the top would be more watery, and lower than the target gravity. This happened to me recently and my reading was about .015 too high, when there was really no way for that to be physically possible given the amount of extract and water used.

I had it filled to the 5 gallon mark. But it seemed to ferment just fine. It dropped to 1.018 right on the mark.

I had it filled to the 5 gallon mark. But it seemed to ferment just fine. It dropped to 1.018 right on the mark.

5 gallon mark? Like on the buckets with the pre-printed volume gradations? If so, these are not always accurate, and could explain the OG discrepancy. Have you calibrated the markings?

I never thought of that the buckets were not accurate. And no I have not calibrated anything but I will now that you mention it.

Back