OG coming up short...?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jkharris200634

Reaction score
The past couple of batches of beer I've done the OG has been off from what the instructions say it should be. For example, I cooked an ale today and it's OG should have been 1.54 but instead it was 1.032. Now I followed the instructions correctly and I made should the sample temp was 60 degrees F. I'm sure the beer will be fine but I'm just curious as to why my OG always comes up short. Thanks guys!

Are you doing extract with top off water?

If so then it probably is just the top off water is not fully mixed in. It is nearly impossible to miss OG with extract if you water volumes are correct.

Yea, it's an extract kit and I cooled the wort to 70F (I like 60F, but kit just said below 80F) and put it in the fermenter then added water until my 5 gallon mark. I immediately took the OG reading then. So how long should I wait to take an OG after mixing everything in the fermenter (besides yeast?).

At this point I would not even worry about it. Unless you are way off on volumes the listed OG is what you got.

Let it sit and let the yeast work and you will have beer. The FG is more important.

Back