Og calculation from over sparge

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kmcogar

Reaction score
So I'm brewing today. I got about 3 extra gallons of run off when I was sparging. I wanted about 6 gallons and got 9.
Reason is because last time I didn't have enough so I guess I overcompensated for that amount.
My OG is supposed to be 1.064 but I have 1.040. After I boil off those THREE gallons wlll it be ok?
I also had a boil over cause I had to much beer in my pot. I did FEH and it seems like a lot of them came out. Some brew days are worse then others I guess

It may be sweeter than you wanted it to be if you boil it down. What style is it? I would boil it down and hit it with some yeast energizer and nutrient to help attenuation since it would have more non-fermentables

Just boil it until you get to your desired post boil volume and OG. Attenuation has nothing to do with the over sparge at this point. Unless you mashed at a temperature higher than desired the fermentability of the wort is a non issue

Math says you will have to evaporate 3.34 ish gallons from 9 to get a 1.064. For me that is a little over a 100 minute boil. I boil 90 minutes quite a bit an don't get bad melanoidins or any crazy sweetness from a long boil.

Back