OG and FG way off in Beersmith for clone recipe Sculpin

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

beervoid

Hophead & Pellet Rubber
Reaction score
Hello everybody

I'm working on putting a Sculpin clone together based on a recipe found on the forum.
It's a dry beer with an OG of 1.065 and FG of around 1.08

The recipe is for a 5 gallon batch but after putting everything in Beersmith I get a EST OG of 10.69 and EST FG of 1.018

What can I be doing wrong?

Here's the original recipe, I followed the grain bill exactly, only the hops are different.

Batch Size: 5.000 gal
Efficiency: 70%
OG: 1.063
FG: 1.00875
ABV: 7.1%
Bitterness: 98.6 IBUs (Tinseth)
Color: 6 SRM (Morey)

Mash low 148 for the all grain recipe
It's a 1.063/1.008 beer

12 lbs Pale Malt (2 Row)
Caramel malts 15% of bill
8 oz Cara-Pils/Dextrine Grain
1 lb Caramel/Crystal Malt - 15L Grain 16.000 oz

1 oz Amarillo FWH
.5 oz Warrior @ 90 min
.5 oz Magnum @ 60 min
.25 oz Northern Brewer @ 60 min
.25 oz Warrior @ 60 min

.5 oz Crystal @ 30 min
.25 oz Centennial 1@ 30 min
.25 oz Simcoe @ 30 min

1 oz Amarillo @ 0 min
2 oz Amarillo dryhop
2 oz Simcoe dryhop

1.065 to 1.008 is 87% apparent attenuation.
The WLP001 that appears in many Sculpin recipes is rated up to 80%, and a quick scan of the clone recipes in the BeerSmith Cloud shows the OG/FG spreads are typically in the 75-78% range...

Cheers!

I will be using US05.
I think I figured out what I did wrong.

In the mash tab I selected BIAB Medium body and manually altered the mash temperature.
When I selected BIAB Light body my gravitiy estimates good again.
it now gives me an OG of 1.063 and FG of 1.010

I will be using US05.
I think I figured out what I did wrong.

In the mash tab I selected BIAB Medium body and manually altered the mash temperature.
When I selected BIAB Light body my gravitiy estimates good again.
it now gives me an OG of 1.063 and FG of 1.010

I think there is something else going on in BS that you may be doing wrong. Mash temp doesn't affect OG so your OG shouldn't change. Manually adjusting the mash temp does change FG. If I pick light/medium @150° for a recipe I already have in BS I get OG of 1.046 and FG of 1.009. If I manually change it to 154° I get OG of 1.046 and FG of 1.011. If I change it to medium/full body (which is 154°) my OG and FG don't change.

You are right, im back to the same problem again. The recipe is for a 5 gallon batch.
Now I found out that if I change it the BATCH SIZE to 5.5 gal my gravity nrs are spot on.

You are right, im back to the same problem again. The recipe is for a 5 gallon batch.
Now I found out that if I change it the BATCH SIZE to 5.5 gal my gravity nrs are spot on.

I think you just need to create an equipment profile and dial it in. That's really the only way to do it. Guessing won't work well.

I have selected the appropriate equipment profile that fits my equipment. What setting would effect OG most?
Only off thing I can see and which I can't change in the design menu is EST Mash Efficiency.. It's set to 82% which I think is pretty high.. I set the overal efficieny on 70.

Your process losses and efficiency may be different from that of the original recipe. When I enter a recipe from a source where the efficiency and losses are not explicit, I use my equipment profile, enter the recipe as printed, and then adjust the grain bill, IBU, and color to match the specs of the recipe using the sliders under the ingredient window on the mash tab. That way the recipe should reflect how it would be brewed with my process, not someone else's.

Back