OG and FG question...Im a noob

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

IFlyEm

Reaction score
Ok this is my second batch but my first time doing the hydrometer readings. My OG read 50...I assume that is 1.05. After taking my FG it was 12...which again I assume is 1.012. I did the OG-FGx131.25 which equaled 4.9875...Did I do that right? Is my ABV just under 5%? Thanks for the help!

That sounds about right. The one caveat there is that you want to take the readings when the wort is cooled down. 60F is best, but if you try to read it warmer you will get skewed readings. At 80F, for example, you'll read a couple of points lower than normal.

There are calculators and formulae out there to figure out correction factors at various temperatures. However, my advice is to just cool it down to as close as you can get to 60F, because especially at more extreme temps those correction factors can be way off from reality.

Yeah I cooled it like the directions said...I didnt want to mess it up so I am a stickler for the directions.

It doesn't have to be perfect at 59-60F for everything to work right. Just keep in mind and know that there are some corrections if the wort is at a different temperature from what the hydrometer is calibrated at. Was your wort at 60F when you took your FG?

Quick reference table if your wort is at a different temp, bottom of the page.

So according to that table, you'll add .0009, or .001(says to round to the third decimal) to your final reading giving you 1.013. I'd say you are just fine, especially being that close, but if for some reason you are taking a reading at a higher temperature, you'll need to use the table to adjust the gravity reading. Hydrometers are definitely your friend! :mug:

Back