Offseason Cider around Hartford?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

thedrunkenirishman

Reaction score
Hi all,

Anyone have any suggestions on where to buy off-season cider in the Hartford area?

For a short while, I stumbled upon Zeigler Cider being sold at PriceRites for $5 / gallon which made a very tasty hard cider. Of course, the parent company, ShopRite, has decided to start selling a store brand instead and that brand is dosed with K-Sulfate...argh!

Only supermarket I could find selling cider is Whole Foods (of course) and they are only selling half gallons @ $4 a bottle. Selling a cider made somewhere in MA (forget the name).

Any other thoughts? I tried making hard cider from Motts at one time, but it was not that good (go figure!). Do I have to pay the Whole Foods price or wait until cider season heats up in 5-6 months?

you posted this a couple weeks ago but I'll chime in.. I actually make cider with whatever apple juice Aldi sells. I think it's natures nectar, it's 100% juice, it has vitamin C added. IIRC it's $1.20 per 1/2 gallon so $2.40 per gallon. I make a variant of EdWorts apfelwein: https://www.homebrewtalk.com/showthread.php?t=14860
pretty darn good stuff

Back