Official quit the cigarettes

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ó Flannagáin

Reaction score
Wife went out of town for the night, so I figured I'd brew, order pizza, play some video games and smoke some cigarettes. Went to the store, bought a pack, came home and started my afternoon. Well, I've tried to put 3 down and just feel sick. I don't want another one at all. Really making me ill. Guess they are a thing of the past now :D

I quit for the most part months ago. Bummed one ore two when I'd get drunk... Wife was going out of town and thought I'd be sneaky and have a little one man party. This was easily the last time I smoke... cigarettes.

I hear you, I smoke when I drink only, but living with 3 all-time smokers have really made me never want to smoke again. I always smell like an ashtray and I don't do anything but sleep there right now. I hate the way they smell, I can't even enjoy everything about my beer.

7 years in January, Smoked from 18 to 48.. Can't stand to be around them any longer..

Don't give in. I did 4 times over @5 years before finally stopping.

I buy my beer equipment with the money I save by not smoking.

What is it now @ $4 a pack??

Brewer3401 said:
I tried the pills, but only took me from 2 to 1 pack per day.

I am trying almost monthly now.

Any tricks or tips.

Thanks

Go cold turkey. Hate yourself and be mad at the world for 2 days. JUst realize it's ok to be pissed off. After the two days, cravings only last 5 to 10 minutes, just get through those cravings. After a week, realize your accomplishment, and continuing will be way easier. You start to recognize a craving and know that it will end in a few minutes, you just gotta stick it out.

Oh, and marry a woman who will leave you if you don't quit. That helped me :D

The pill doesn't work for everybody. Seems like either it does or it doesn't. For me, I had no confidence that it would work but it worked anyway. 3 packs a day to none, literally overnight, with not a single craving. Almost like I never smoked at all. It doesn't even bother me to be around smokers.

Cheesefood said:
2 years in January.

Congrats nicotine-free brethren. Oct was 2 years for me. I went on "the pill" also

Brewer3401 said:
I tried the pills, but only took me from 2 to 1 pack per day.

That's a common misconception about the pill. It isn't a replacement, and will not reduce your consumption. It simply helps reduce the intensity of the cravings and the negative effects of withdrawal.

When I quit, I was absolutely convinced the pill was useless. I was still smoking just as much as I always had the day before my quit. I smoked my last smoke for the night, trashed the pack, and went to bed. I awoke the next morning and went to work. The drive was a little odd as my usual habits were being broken, but once at work I didn't think about smoking once until lunch. I remember that moment very well because I reached to grab my keys and smokes and thought "Hey, I haven't thought about my smokes in 4 hours!!!"

It was that moment that I became a believer in the pill, and in myself.

It was the longest I had been without a smoke in a long time.

SWMBO is making me quit for real this time.....so I'm thinking it will be part of a marry christmas thing for her.....

5 years running for me. It's amazing how much the smell of cigaretts bothers me now. I can't even eat or drink anything that has a smokey flavor

working on my first year now, havent had one since june. i used the gum. still have it for cravings. worked good for me because it gave me something to do when i wanted a smoke.

Ó Flannagáin said:
This was easily the last time I smoke... cigarettes.
only cigarettes eh? so does that mean you still smoke cigars or a pipe?.
but anyways it is always good to quit smoking although i dont mind when people do smoke. and i congradulate all thouse who have quite. but for me 1 cigar everynow and then is all care to smoke, well maybe a pipe if i have some good tobaco.

zbeeblebrox said:
only cigarettes eh? so does that mean you still smoke cigars or a pipe?.
but anyways it is always good to quit smoking although i dont mind when people do smoke. and i congradulate all thouse who have quite. but for me 1 cigar everynow and then is all care to smoke, well maybe a pipe if i have some good tobaco.

Oh, yes, I'll have a cigar or a pipe on occasion... and maybe something else on those camping trips with my old friends.

I do not know if this has been mentioned before, but hypnosis works -as administered by a trained pychologist! It did it for me, back in *cough* '84.

I came out of the 25 min. hypnosis session high a kite, a real funny thing... I remember having a hard time writing the check at the receptionist's counter...!

I was really wired up for a week. Under a fast-approaching deadline, my boss, old yankee type, made a sideways remark... I almost told him to get lost!!
Another vivid memory was, after three weeks, being in a convenience store, looking at the overhead cig. racks and thinking... "hmm, what ARE these stange things people are buying/sucking on?"

One important thing I learned: it is imperative to not TOUCH cigarettes, packs, ashtrays, etc., as this would tend to "link" you back to the habit/addiction. That's why it does not work well with food addictions. A friend also explained how the less you know about the technique of hypnosis, the more effective it will be.

Note that I smoked a little bit of a cigar on Thanksgiving last year, 20+yrs after quiting) with no ill effect. It was OK, not that great, we were drinking sup-par BMC...

We just got back from Boston. Cigs were over $8 a pack....I couldn't believe it. I used snuff for 15 years and finally gave that up. After quitting its hard to imagine going back to it........

Back