Official Broken Hydrometer Count

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk:

AzOr

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Yeah, me too.
Quite often I don't even take FG readings anymore (with the hydrometer). There's nothing I can do to change it, anyway.
Ha!
Yeah I’ve had a couple of brew days recently where the only reason I check the gravity is so I can make myself feel like a stud by hitting my expected gravity.
Otherwise, I’m with you. Not much I can do and it won’t make a big difference if I’m off a few points.

Maybe I’ll start another thread…..
I think it would be a fun challenge to brew a beer with zero measuring.
Literally grab grains from the bins and dump them into the mill. Same for hops. Also don’t use a timer for the boil.
Temp control for fermentation- nah

rogervj

Reaction score
I used the same hydrometer for 10 years of brewing without breakage.I then broke two in one month period. I have since switched to a refractometer with no issues. Add 2 to the count!

IslandLizard

Progressive Brewing
Staff member
Mod
Lifetime Supporter
Reaction score
how are they made then?
That's a very good question...
The top end is very smooth, I've never seen a seam or joint in that area, but they must close the tube there, it can't be anywhere else, since the paper sleeve is tacked down at the top when calibrating.

One thing is sure, it's top class glassblowing!

sweetcell

Protruding Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Quite often I don't even take FG readings anymore (with the hydrometer). There's nothing I can do to change it, anyway.
same. i will occasionally measure FG if there is some beer left over in the fermenter after racking to my keg, but there isn't always something left over... and i'm lazy. so my expected 1.010 beer is 1.013 - so what? very few people could detect the difference (i'm certainly not one of them), and i'm not going to do anything about it. i'm quite confident in my ability to control temps (including ramping up at the end of primary) and foster a solid fermentation. the difference between 6.5% abv and 6.6% is meaningless.

95% of the time i do use my refract to take OG, but that's because i will do something about it if i don't like the number: add DME, add water, adjust my expectations to a lower or higher yield, change mashing process next batch, etc.

Last edited:

sweetcell

Protruding Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Maybe I’ll start another thread…..
I think it would be a fun challenge to brew a beer with zero measuring.
Literally grab grains from the bins and dump them into the mill. Same for hops. Also don’t use a timer for the boil.
Temp control for fermentation- nah
i think this would be a cool thing to do.

other proposed rules:
no starters/no rehydration.
no nutrients.
no OG or FG measurements? (controversial...)

i think the one thing that should be allowed is measuring/managing mash temp.

this approach/style shall henceforth be known as slackbeer... or ForceBeer (cue the scene where Luke is on the trench run in EP4 and about to use his sighting instrument to fire the kill-shot, when Obi_wan's voice tells him to "use the force" and he puts the instrument away...)

Last edited:

AzOr

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
i think this would be a cool thing to do.

other proposed rules:
no starters/no rehydration.
no nutrients.
no OG or FG measurements? (controversial...)

i think the one thing that should be allowed is measuring/managing mash temp.

this approach/style shall henceforth be known as slackbeer... or ForceBeer (cue the scene where Luke is on the trench run in EP4 and about to use his sighting instrument to fire the kill-shot, when Obi_wan's voice tells him to "use the force" and he puts the instrument away...)
I’m ok with these rules. Although I may take a gravity reading, I wouldn’t make any adjustments from it.
Btw- who uses nutes for beer?

As far as mash temp- I use an anvil foundry, so I’ll know the temp and volume of water.

What’s this gonna prove? Absolutely nothing. But I’m still excited to try it out.

I have a couple of beers I wanna brew first (Christmas beers) but then I’ll do this experiment.

pvpeacock

Reaction score