Official Broken Carboy Count.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
If a carboy breaks because you put hot water in it, its a piece of crap. I have taken carboys from temperature extremes so many times and never had any break or even crack. Don't buy the thin cheap ones and you wont have this problem. I have never broken one and I will admit when I first got into the hobby I handled them while completely smashed. I actually enjoy the possibility of the carboy breaking...kinda like a juggler with chain saws or something...It adds an element of risk that I somehow find exhilarating. With that said, I would like to move away from them eventually but I have some really nice ones and I would hate to stop using them for no reason.

51. Just added dry hops and giving the carboy a little swirl. Clink and gush. Only lost about 3/4 of a gallon, but all that o2 and lost hops...

IMG_20170321_203511167.jpg

I have over 20 glass carboys. Been brewing since 1994. Never broke one.

Empties I place anywhere, but prior to racking they go into milk crates first.
One broken in 21 years, and found the crack before I filled it. Some may fret over potential breakage and injury, and gloat (and share gory pictures) when another careless homebrewer posts their life-threatening injury as a cautionary tale to the rest of us, saying "plastic saves lives, but I smile when Brulosophy finds statistically significant difference (and preference for beer in glass) in using glass over plastic: http://brulosophy.com/2016/05/16/fe...stic-pet-vs-glass-carboy-exbeeriment-results/

I guess you don't like this thread :) Do you think the hazard is being over-emphasized?

If I can jump in on that question.
I don't think the hazard is over emphasized - just look at the carboy injury thread; those things can do some serious damage.
However, if you are careful, you can minimize hazards. Things like not handling them wearing shorts and flip-flops (especially full,) using something like a brew hauler when full (I keep mine in milk crates,) don't rush anything when handling them, most especially wet.
I haven't lost a carboy yet (knock on wood) but I did lose a gallon-size jug when I was transferring some dregs I was growing (that was the best-smelling mess I ever cleaned.)
It was because of rushing to transfer, my hands were wet and it slipped out.
Fortunately I was taking my own advice, wearing long pants and closed-toe shoes, so no damage to me. but there were shards EVERYWHERE.

I guess you don't like this thread :) Do you think the hazard is being over-emphasized?
Yes. Between this and the gory injury picture thread, the fearmongering gets old. How about threads of "Official wrecked car count" and "Car wreck Horror Stories Compendium" threads? Should we stop driving?

There are benefits to cars, there are benefits to glass carboys.

They cause serious damage if you handle them carelessly. They make carboy carriers so you can lift them safely. So often in life people choose to do things that aren't safe and then something horrible happens and they blame the item and not themselves. If you cut yourself while chopping vegetables is it the knife that caused the injury or your carelessness and disrespect of the knife?

Latest posts

Back