Off The Deep End - All Grain Brew Marathon

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mutilated1

Beer Drenched Executioner
Reaction score
You guys remember a while ago I mentioned I wanted to start doing all grain, and mentioned I thought I would do three all grain recipes in the same day ?

Well I've been planning and preparing, and today is the day!

Actually the goal is going to be three All Grain batches in 24 hours, because I was planning on brewing first thing in the morning tomorrow but as of this afternoon I just couldn't wait anymore so I'm getting an early start.

I just started heating up the water for batch #1, a Bohemian Pilsner. Batch #2 which will be started this evening will be BierMuncher's Aberdeen Brewery - Session Haus Ale. Batch #3 is a recipe I'm working on myself which I am hoping to end up with something similar to Spanish Peaks "Black Dog" Ale.

By this time tomorrow afternoon I plan on having my first three all grain batches in the fermenter.

Not counting the preparation earlier this week of making starters, cleaning equipment, shopping, etc... Just counting brewing time. Can an all grain noob complete 3 all grain recipes without ruining the beer in only 24 hours ? Stay tuned to find out.

Wish me luck.
:mug:

I won't need much sleep - I've been on vacation from work all week long and so I really only got up and around today a couple hours ago. And it won't take so long to do it all anyway because I've doubled up on equipment, propane burners, brew pots, etc.. I've got at least two of each so I can work in parallel. The only bottleneck on my critical path is that I only have one mash tun made so I can only mash one batch at a time.

I'm ready to make beer and I won't be denied. I'm prepared, and I've done a couple mini-mashes last week just to practice up on my mashing technique.

I expect to have 2 batches done by 10:30-11:00 tonight, then a short nap. And start the last batch first thing in the AM before the rest of my family wakes up. I'll be finished before college football comes on tomorrow morning.

Mutilated1 said:
I won't need much sleep - I've been on vacation from work all week long and so I really only got up and around today a couple hours ago. And it won't take so long to do it all anyway because I've doubled up on equipment, propane burners, brew pots, etc.. I've got at least two of each so I can work in parallel. The only bottleneck on my critical path is that I only have one mash tun made so I can only mash one batch at a time.

I'm ready to make beer and I won't be denied. I'm prepared, and I've done a couple mini-mashes last week just to practice up on my mashing technique.

I expect to have 2 batches done by 10:30-11:00 tonight, then a short nap. And start the last batch first thing in the AM before the rest of my family wakes up. I'll be finished before college football comes on tomorrow morning.

Sounds like you're well prepared. Also sounds like a good time. Have fun...

nah nobody is helping me, but my daughter will be home from school in an hour and she'll want to stir the pot and keep me company

Upate: Currently heating the sparge water for the first mash.

UPDATE:

I had a bit of a delay in getting the boil going cause I got interrupted, but I've just now got the first batch to a full boil. Just made the first bittering hop addition ( 1 oz Sazz ) so the house is full of wonderful beer smell. I'm about 20 minutes from my 1oz Sazz Flavor hop addition. At the point I finish the hops and I'm 30 minutes from flame out on the first beer I will start the water for the second mash.

Also, one slight setback occured so far. During the sparge of my first batch I developed a slight leak around the hardware on my homemade mash tun, so I'm off to repair that while I'm letting the beer cook.

UPDATE:

First Beer, a Bohemian Pilsner is finished. I boiled for an hour, and cooled it to 74 and then pitched my starter. I'm making it with WLP810 instead of a more authentic Pilsner yeast because I understand the SF Lager yeast will tolerate a higher temp and I'm leaving the brew in the shade on my back porch where I should have an easy time keeping it in the 50s for the next week or so, but I think if it gets up in the 60s or higher with the WLP810 it won't be a disaster.

With 9.5 pounds of Pilsner Malt, and .5 pound of CaraPils, my OG measured 1.066. I think it was a little higher than I expected because I didn't end up with quite as much wort as I planned. I had about 4 2/3 gallons when I checked the gravity, and I topped it up to 5.0 gallons with bottled spring water after I pitched my big starter I've been nursing this week. After toping it up to 5.0 gallons the gravity was still slightly above 1.060.

I'm about to start the Second Batch as soon as I fix the leak in the Mash Tun, get a little snack, and run down to the corner store to get bags of ice to cool wort with before the stores close tonight.

Kids and Family will be in bed soon, so the next batch should move quickly since there won't be interruptions.

UPDATE:

Fixed the leak in the Mash Tun, and Brewed BierMuncher's Session Haus Ale. Cooled the wort down to 75 and and racked it into the primary right on top of the yeast cake of Safale US-05 from my Sweetwater 420 extra pale ale copycat recipe. Got the fermenter sealed up about a quarter to two this morning, and caught 40 winks.

Water for the last batch is heating up now, I'm going to start mashing it right after I get a bit of breakfast.

All right, you're almost there!! You just need a couple of Orfy's french fry sammiches, and perhaps a downpour of rain? :-D

Brew on, friend!

Actually I finished up a couple hours ago. All three fermenters are sitting on my shaded back porch @ 60F, and my Pilsner is bubbling away already.

I just got back from the brew store with grains for next brew session, I'm thinking maybe Thanksgiving afternoon/evening sometime.

It turned out, that 3 all grain batches in a day is really not out of reach with a little planning and preparation. I didn't use half of the equipment I prepared, and I never did try and do more than one batch at a time, allthough in my planning that was my intention to have the water for one batch heating while, one batch was mashing, and another batch was in the kettle. I might try that again some other time.

In a couple weeks when I'm ready to rack the pilsner to a secondary, I'm going to do two lager recpies at once and split the yeast from my first pilsner in two and pitch the chilled wort right on top of it.

Thanks.

I'm just hoping the quality of my beers improves with doing All Grain. Certainly are more choices and options when you do all grain, and it is a bit more fun.

With doing all grain brews now, and the colder fall weather we're enjoying I'm expecting a big improvement in my beers now, I hope it lives up to expectations.

Never have done 2 batches, but tomorrow I plan to *bottle* 2 batches ... and I do have a trusty 11 year old helper !

Back