off taste

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jv0021

Reaction score
So last Wednesday I transferred my first brew to my carboy, last night after taking a gravity reading I thought I would taste the product. It seemed to have almost a rubbing alcohol taste to it. Will this go away with time or won't the flavor change much now. It's brewers best American light. Thanks for the help

what temp did it ferment at? Could be off flavors such as fusel alcohols. it might get better over time.

Many fermentation off flavors will resolve themselves with more conditioning time. So, my suggestion overall is let it mellow (and don't muck with it too much taking samples and such because you up your risk of infection). However, fusel alcohols, which you may be describing, are not one of them. Not much you can do about fusels unless you have access to some very sophisticated distilling gear. But, regardless, let it mellow (weeks or even months -- nothing to loose really) and see what happens.

For example, I brewed an ESB last year which had some really pronounced off-flavors initially, I let it condition for about another month (and did a little "CO2 scrubbing") and it was spot on then. Pronounced a very good ESB by a British bartender friend of mine even.

Fusels are often caused by ferm temps that were too high. A few questions: What strain of yeast did you use? What were your ferm temps? What was your OG? What was your last SG reading?

Fusels are often caused by ferm temps that were too high. A few questions: What strain of yeast did you use? What were your ferm temps? What was your OG? What was your last SG reading?

I used Nottingham yeast eg11 or something like that. The ferm temp was between 59-61. OG was 1.041 last nights SG was 1.011 which has been for a few days. It didnt really taste bad but did taste like rubbing alcohol. I am planning on leaving it alone until next wednesday so itll be in the carboy for 2 weeks then I will bottle it. I did just realize that it has been getting more sunlight (not direct) the last couple days as well.

I've seen this or something similar a number of times personally and I ferment low like you. For me, it's always disappeared after just a few days in the bottle.

Ferm temps are reasonable. Sunlight would likely "skunk" the beer which is a different taste then you are describing, but best not to have it exposed to sun light -- direct or indirect. Lots of factors other than temps which can stress the yeast and cause off flavors. Good news is that most of these will fix themselves over time.

I don't see anything obvious from your posts so I would just let it mellow and it will probably be fine. I suggest the longer the better.

I have the same kit and am brewing on Friday. While we are on the topic of yeast, where did you store the yeast prior to brewing?

Back