Off taste with Dunkelweizen

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

garyhood

Reaction score
So i cracked open a couple of my dunkelweizens the other night and had very mixed results.. The nose on the beer had great scents of bubble gum and bananas so perfect not over the top just the right amount but.. the taste had a very weird taste to it. It had a paper type taste to it.. if any wine drinkers out there know the taste of a bad bottle.. when it has that wet cardboard taste to it.. it was like that but a bit milder... So here is the recipe below. I had this guy in a primary for 3 weeks and in the bottle for 2 1/2 weeks.. As of right now my first diagnosis is to keep it in the bottle for 1-3 more weeks before trying it again.. What do you guys think:confused:
thanks so much in advance!

Slam Dunk Dunkelweizen by TheStuFactor
Grains:
2 lbs American Carmel 20 L
.5 lb American Chocolate Malt
Malt: (This recipe called for 6 lb Liquid Wheat Extract and 1 lb dry light extract instead 6 lb Bavarian Wheat DME by Breiss was used)
6 lb Bavarian Wheat DME (Breiss)
Hops:
1.5 oz Northern Brewer (60min)
.5 oz Hallertau (30min)
.5 oz Hallertau (5 min)
Yeast: Wyeast Bavarian Wheat 3638- Top cropping hefeweizen yeast with complex flavor and aroma. Balance of banana and bubble gum esters with lichi and apple/plum esters and clove.
SG: 1.051
FG: 1.016

sounds like you oxidized it. wet cardboard flavors indicate oxidation. unfortunately, theres no fix for this as ive recently discovered.

hmmm that sucks.. just read a description of what oxidized beer taste like and it is spot on to what i am experiencing right now.. I had a lot of problems with racking this beer.. my wand was stuck numerous times and i probably had to many air bubbles coming from the primary bucket to my racking bucket.. that sucks.. on some of the bottles it is better than other.. i had a large format bottle and it was pretty hard to drink.. some of the 12 oz bottles were fine and the first one i tasted was great but under carbonated.. i don't like problems with no solution.. i guess i learned from this experience and will have to drink the 50 beers with my tail between my legs..

well if some bottles made it and others didnt, it sounds like your problem may be with your bottling technique/equipment. the other thing that helps is to strain your wort when your pouring into the fermenter. this helps to keep as much trub out as possible.

Yea this could very well be.. my first 3 batches were spot on. nothing like this.. this one was the hardest bottling experience i have had.. really stressful with the cane and wand.. well atleast i know what to expect on thursday when i bottle my red ale:)

Back