off taste from bottle conditioning

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ddrrseio

Reaction score
i had noticed an undesirable, somewhat gauzy taste in some of my beers. when i researched this, i found out it could be due to contamination oversparging. i took precautions with sanitation, but didn't really see much change. for the last eight months, i've kegged everything.

i'd mostly forgotten about this issue until tonight i opened a bottle of oatmeal stout that i had bottled carbed earlier this year. 95% of the batch went in a keg, but the rest was bottled with some additional sugar. the keg is long gone, but the bottle has that taste i remember and hate!

could what i am describing as gauzy just be yeast that is not making it into my draft pours?

Can you elaborate on "gauzy" a little more? Do you mean it dries out your mouth like gauze would?

And what do you mean by "contamination oversparging"? I've never heard of such a thing...

sorry, when i searched for basic homebrew errors, that taste came up connected to contamination or oversparging/overmilling. i left out the 'or' when typing.

as far as the taste - i couldn't really describe it except as antiseptic until i saw those pages. i was then reminded of the taste of gauze i would get when i lost a tooth and bit down on some to stop the bleeding.

If you're only doing the dishwasher with no additional cleaning or sanitizing, maybe that's the problem? You might be getting a mild infection in the bottles, that can lead to a medicinal/antiseptic off flavor.

I know some people here have good luck with the dishwasher, but I'm not a fan. If the bottles aren't clean the dishwasher usually doesn't do much (water generally won't go all the way up into the bottles). If the bottles are clean some dishwashers have a "sanitize" heat cycle, but I'd trust that a lot less than a quick dip in star san.

If the bottles have gunk in them I'd do an overnight soak in PWB/oxyclean followed by some scrubbing and lots of rinsing, if they're clean skip it. Either way rinse the inside briefly with star san right before bottling. Maybe someone else can chime in?

thank you!

i think i will try what i do for my carboys next time. one hour at 350 in the oven + cooling time

Back