Off taste (caramel) after kegging?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MrSmug

Reaction score
I just kegged (first time) a Blind Pig IPA extract clone and I noticed some off off flavor that wasnt there when I kegged or even a few days after kegging. Tastes very creamy and caramely. Could this be diacetyl... I'm pretty sure it fermented long enough?

My OG was around 1.080 and my FG was 1.020. I let if sit in a primary for 12 days around 70deg before moving to a secondary where it sat for another 10 days. While in the secondary part of the recipe calls for some flavoring hops as well as adding oak chips. Could the oak chips be causing this flavor? I've never actually had this beer before so I don't know if its the desired taste.

The strange thing is, before it went into the keg it didnt have this taste. I through it into the keg and let it sit for around a week at 12PSI. Then I poured my first glass that it still lacked that flavor although it was a bit flat. I then bumped up the PSI to 14 and let it sit for another few days. It's at this time that the strong creamy caramel taste became evident.

Any thoughts on why this happened and/or how to rectify it?

Thanks

Malt Extracts
9.0lb - Light Malt Extract
1.0lb - Bavarian Wheat

Grains (steeped 30min)
0.5lb - Carapils
0.5lb - Crystal 40L

Hops
2.0oz - Centennial (60min)
0.5oz - Cascade (30min)
1.0oz - Cascade (15min)

1 - Whirfloc (15min)
1 - White Labs 001

Secondary Fermentation
0.5oz - Cascade
1.0oz - Centennial
1.0oz - American Oak Chips

crystal 40 is described as "caramel"

I put a lot more in my beers, I think your tastebuds are maybe getting used to hoppy beer, so you are tasting the caramel more.

crystal 40 is described as "caramel"

I put a lot more in my beers, I think your tastebuds are maybe getting used to hoppy beer, so you are tasting the caramel more.

Perhaps... I'm usually drinking hop bombs. Never used oak chips before so they may also be contributing to the flavor?

I've been going back every day since the initial caramel blast and I've been noticing it less and less. Maybe I'm a bit crazy

Of course you are a little crazy!........You are a brewer.;)

We are all crazy in one direction or another.

Since this was your first time kegging... Was it a new or used keg? and if used, did you replace all the o-rings. Sometimes they can cause off flavors..

The grain ratios in this recipe could apply to pretty much any pale or even IPA. There's certainly not an excessive amount of stewed and roasted grains that could be expected to impart an unusual degree of caramel(ish) flavors.

So, I'd say if the perceived flavor is unusual - and it's the first time for the wood chip treatment - I'd key on the wood chips. They may be imparting some vanilla - and yes, maybe even "caramel" - notes that is being picked up just because it's different...

Cheers!

The grain ratios in this recipe could apply to pretty much any pale or even IPA. There's certainly not an excessive amount of stewed and roasted grains that could be expected to impart an unusual degree of caramel(ish) flavors.

So, I'd say if the perceived flavor is unusual - and it's the first time for the wood chip treatment - I'd key on the wood chips. They may be imparting some vanilla - and yes, maybe even "caramel" - notes that is being picked up just because it's different...

Cheers!

I'm thinking (actually hoping) its the wood chips. It's not like the beer is undrinkable or anything, I just want to find out if I messed anything up along the way so I can prevent any errors in the future.

Thanks

1.020 seems really high for an IPA, I think this may be your culprit.

Bad fermentation?

Well the target OG was a little higher than expected because I lost a fair amount of water during the bool so I only ended up with 4 gallons. As far as that gravity goes though I did create 2L starter using a stir plate and 1 vile of WLP0001. Think this should be pretty good no?

I just checked my brew log and I noticed that 3 out of my last 4 IPA's was around this number so this is "normal" for me I guess

Janet's Brown Ale 1.080 / 1.019
American Amber Ale 1.054 / 1.012
Zytho's IPA 1.070 / 1.018
Blind Pig IPA 1.080 / 1.019

Back