Off Putting Smell

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bugaboo

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I'm doing a berliner weisse so i'm expecting some sour smell, but jesus this stuff is pungant. Any one have experience with this beer? I just racked to primary after week and an half. Can I expect it to mellow out

It would probably help if you specified which yeast you are using, since most likely it's the yeast responsible for the 'off putting smell'.

+1 Wolfy.

I just brewed a cream ale, wlp080 and it gives off a heavy sulfur smell for several days. Check your yeast specs out from their website.

I'm actually moving it over to secondary tonight to cold crash for 5 days in the fridge then keg. I'm trying really hard to be patient but excited to keg this.

Brewing takes buddhist like patience. The more batches I do the better my patience has become tho. I wanted this batch to be done quick, but I gone let it be a little long in hopes to mellow out this smell

So how'd they turn out guys? Did the aroma mellow out? Green beer taste was great for me (today after 3 weeks in primary). Also my first time with this yeast, but I expected the smell after reading about WLP080, just curious if you get any of that aroma with the final product (I'm sure it depends on how well you filter/crash too)...

Latest posts

Back