Off flavour...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

scaffologist

Reaction score
So I brewed a pale wheat ale kit from the brewhouse (pre made all grain wort in a bag, just like a wine kit). I made a couple mistakes, which I already had threads about on here. So the beer is in the bottle now for 5 days. I know, I know, I'm not supposed to taste my beer for 3 weeks, but I wanted to see how it was coming along, and I am leaving Tuesday for work for 20 days. When I bottled the beer I just racked on top of the priming sugar solution without stirring. When I tasted the beer in the bottom of the bucket, it tasted like beer flavoured sugar water. So I crack one open today (warm) and pour it up. Carbed up well. Nice head on it. I tasted it and it was horrible. Really sweet and had this off taste that stuck to the roof of my mouth. So a few hours later I decided to open another, this time from one of the corona bottles that I knew were filled somewhere in the middle of the run. This ones not bad at all. Obviously young, but no off taste and not overly sweet. So I guess there is something to be said for stirring in priming sugar. My question is, will the off flavour on the first beer go away once the priming sugar is consumed? And am I leaving my wife bottle bombs while I'm away?

Back