Off-flavors?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Slappy White

Reaction score
1.I brewed an Oktoberfest(Ale version) and my hydrometer samples tasted really good when i transfered to my secondary and into the bottling bucket, but after they have been in the bottles for a little over two weeks they have a bad plasticy off-flavor. Does anyone have any clue why this happens? I know my beer hasnt completely finished carbing, but I doubt that really has anything to do with this flavor.
2.All of my extract beers taste very similar...is it bc of the extract or the partial boils?

Thanks

Thanks revvy....i have tasted green beer, but this is a very strong plastic taste....much stronger than anything I have tasted...could this still be just green beer? or is there a possibility of infection...im hoping its just green.

Are you using plastic bottles?

Sorry, couldnt' resist. I have not heard of plastic flavor before. Is it a PVC flavor, or more of a PET flavor?

Sorry again... I'm just bad today.

Some questions.

What styles of beers do you make?
Are you doing extract only or extract with grains?
If you are doing extract with grains, what's your steeping/wort boiling procedure?
How many beers have you run through the tubing/your plastic equipment?
Have the plasticky flavors in the other beers faded with time?
How do you clean your equipment?
What type of sanitizer do you use?
What temps do you ferment at?

Some questions.

What styles of beers do you make?
How many beers have you run through the tubing/your plastic equipment?
Have the plasticky flavors in the other beers faded with time?
How do you clean your equipment?
What type of sanitizer do you use?

I have done a Steam Ale, Pale Ale, IPA, Blonde, Cream, and a Pumpkin Holiday Ale proir to this. The beer that has the plastic taste is an Oktoberfest. All of these beers have been run through the same tubing/plastic equipment and this is the only one that has tasted like this. I clean my equipment by rinsing and using soap and water where necessary, and then sanitize. I use use C-Brite sanitizer which requires me to rinse after, which I do.

I have done a Steam Ale, Pale Ale, IPA, Blonde, Cream, and a Pumpkin Holiday Ale proir to this. The beer that has the plastic taste is an Oktoberfest. All of these beers have been run through the same tubing/plastic equipment and this is the only one that has tasted like this. I clean my equipment by rinsing and using soap and water where necessary, and then sanitize. I use use C-Brite sanitizer which requires me to rinse after, which I do.

Sounds like you have a phenols problem....First off I'd dump using the c-brite or other rinse requiring sanitizer in favor of a no-rinse like iodophor or starsan. For 2 reasons; 1) unless you are rinsing with Distilled, boiled or Bottled (sterile) water you run the risk of introducing any bacteria from the sink or from the water into/onto your equipment. and phenols possibly can be casued by bacteria, often lurking in the hoses...A no rinse like starsan is good for preventing this becasue the foam can reach hard to reach places, like in hoses. (although I use iodophor, which I pump through my hoses...that works too)

Wild yeast contamination can harbor within plastic-based equipment, such as polyethylene fermenters and plastic hoses. These materials as soft and permeable, hence difficult to clean. Wild yeasts such as S. diatatius produce minor wort phenols that impart medicinal off-flavors.

2) Phenolic flavors can also be caused by Chlorophenols which exist in municipal water supplies and residue from chlorine-based sanitizers. They can affect beer in parts-per-billion (ppb)! Avoidance of both should be given; find a substitute water supply and avoid chlorine-based sanitizers altogether.(Is c-brite a chlorine based sanitizer?)

Also;

if you are doing extract with grains, don't let your grain temps go above 170 and never boil your grains...Tannins sometimes are described as plasticky.

Phenols are also derived from certain yeast strains that produce aromatic alcohols. Bavarian wheat beers produce acceptable levels of phenols. It could be simply the yeast you are using in your Oktoberfest, what type is it?

Here's a good article on Phenolic tastes in beer from BYO...

http://byo.com/mrwizard/743.html

Check on your beer in a couple more weeks....if it hasn't faded then it probably is phenols, which means if you don't like it you might want to scrap the batch....

But hopefully we can stop it for the future.

Thanks....I will switch these things for the future and hopefully that will solve the problem. Yes, the C-Brite is a chlorine based sanitizer and the yeast is Muntons ale yeast which is the only option at the brew store. Would a full boil of my water supply be a way to steer clear of these off-flavors or should I try store bought water...or maybe use a water filter?

Thanks....I will switch these things for the future and hopefully that will solve the problem. Yes, the C-Brite is a chlorine based sanitizer and the yeast is Muntons ale yeast which is the only option at the brew store. Would a full boil of my water supply be a way to steer clear of these off-flavors or should I try store bought water...or maybe use a water filter?

Boiling and cooling would work...but it's a pain. I use tap water all the time and don't notice it.

I would switch one variable first...like switching sanitizers, and see if it is fine then.... Since it could be either the chlorine of the c-brite or the inability of the c-brite to properly sanitize the hose.

Reducing SOME of the chlorine (like with the sanitizer) might be enough.

Another factor that I did not think of earlier is my siphoning technique which is definately not a good one...I use a racking tube and and a hose and fill the hose part full of water...I let the water out into the secondary or bottling bucket and that creates the siphoning action....I had some trouble with this beer and siphoning so by the time it got to the bottles it had 4 hose fulls of water. My problem with the siphoning also created a lot of sputtering and disturbance in the beer. Is this a possible source of the problem?

I also forgot to mention that I use a poor siphoning technique...I fill racking tube and hose with water and allow that to create the siphoning action. With this certain beer and had some problems. I had to re-siphon a few times and this cause a lot of added tap water and disturbance in there beer.

BTW I am heading to the brewstore today to pick up an auto-siphon and am adding some no-rinse sanitizer to the list now. Thanks
Sorry...the above post disappeared on my computer so I thought it didnt show up.

I also forgot to mention that I use a poor siphoning technique...I fill racking tube and hose with water and allow that to create the siphoning action. With this certain beer and had some problems. I had to re-siphon a few times and this cause a lot of added tap water and disturbance in there beer.

BTW I am heading to the brewstore today to pick up an auto-siphon and am adding some no-rinse sanitizer to the list now. Thanks
Sorry...the above post disappeared on my computer so I thought it didnt show up.

Lol...it happens to me on occasion as well..

Good idea on the autosiphon and the no-rinse sanitizer. Go for the big name ones, either iodophor or starsan.

Back