off flavors

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kosmokramer

Reaction score
Who drinks their bad beers? so long story short when i was brewing my galaxy extra pale i dropped and broke the thermometer in the carboy. Local shop said it was toxic brew it out and see what happens. I did, has fruity smell and bitter flavor,,, does not taste like the sample they had. even the head looks like it clups wierd....

should i drink it or dump it,,what do you do when you have a bad batch

Was it a mercury thermometer? If not, it was (almost certainly) an alcohol-based liquid with red dye inside. Not saying you should or shouldn't drink it; I've consumed plenty of batches that turned out less than optimally, but I'm always of the opinion that if you *hate* it, dump it. If you don't mind it much, it actually may age into something you like.

If it was mercury, however, (which is highly unlikely) dump it and restart.

it was red ethanol or alcohol spirits they said,,, didnt taste horrible till i got it into my head that it was bad,,,, now i look at it funny...lol

I'd be willing to bet that if yours tastes off, the trifling amount of liquid in the thermometer wasn't the cause :). Now, if you busted a bunch of glass shards into the batch, you might want to take special care before drinking it, but a filter/baggie on your siphon should take care of that. Otherwise, give it some time and see if it continues to taste off. If it does, you might be infected; if not, do what you would with any other batch of beer.

ya, i think its soome sort of infection... i will dump it tomarrow but drink it tonight...lol

I'm not sure you've given it enough time to verify an infection yet. Some photos might help though, as well as a statement as to how long it has been fermenting now.

Right now its 3 1/2 weeks but the guys at more beer (my lhbs) said it should be ready in 2. Ill put some pics up this afternoon

Back