Off flavors using safale us-05

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

madz1980

Reaction score
My beer taste Apple juice. I know it's a off flavor.
Could this be due to a too low temperature during fermentation?
Temp was 16C room temp.

I dry hopped with Simcoe, could this be a part of the simcoe dry hop flavor?

The beer is a regular IPA

I have experienced a fruit off flavor of apple/peach with s05 when fermented at 60F....there are a couple of threads that discus the problem with fermenting it too cool

I have experienced a fruit off flavor of apple/peach with s05 when fermented at 60F....there are a couple of threads that discus the problem with fermenting it too cool

Thanks for the info :( I'm really sad about it... My mistake. Next batch I will make the fermentation upstairs.

What recipe did you do?

I can tell you that with extract I've had a peach flavor from safeale 05. That was fermented around 68. Many times I've had that happen. In my experience the low temp is a myth.

That yeast is temperamental. It could be the way that it's processed more than temps.

I've used it with an all grain IPA once and the beer was good and I didn't have the peach flavor.

I did just order 4 packs of it to give it another try. Only because I may not feel like firing up the pressure canner to make starter wort this week.

Could just be your beer is "green," i.e., not quite ready to drink yet. How long since you pitched the yeast? A green apple flavor can be caused by acetaldehyde, which will usually condition out if you let the beer sit on the yeast for a few more days.

If the room was 16 °C (~61 °F), the beer was probably one or two degrees C warmer (three-five degrees F) at the height of fermentation, so, fermenting too cool probably wasn't your issue.

Recipe?

I've personally never had off flavors from us05, although I've never submitted it to anything under 64f.

Could just be your beer is "green," i.e., not quite ready to drink yet. How long since you pitched the yeast? A green apple flavor can be caused by acetaldehyde, which will usually condition out if you let the beer sit on the yeast for a few more days.

If the room was 16 °C (~61 °F), the beer was probably one or two degrees C warmer (three-five degrees F) at the height of fermentation, so, fermenting too cool probably wasn't your issue.

He said 'apple juice' not 'green apple.' To me that is a big difference.

My beer taste Apple juice. I know it's a off flavor.
Could this be due to a too low temperature during fermentation?
Temp was 16C room temp.

I dry hopped with Simcoe, could this be a part of the simcoe dry hop flavor?

The beer is a regular IPA

Kegged or bottled?

I tought it was yeast floating on top but I found this 'b#$?ch' on the side of the fermenter... It was undrinkable, total contamination caused by this little fly...

Capture d’e?cran 2015-12-21 a? 12.30.32.jpg

Capture d’e?cran 2015-12-21 a? 12.30.43.jpg

I tought it was yeast floating on top but I found this 'b#$?ch' on the side of the fermenter... It was undrinkable, total contamination caused by this little fly...

Well, good news is you have a pretty good idea of what caused the off flavor. So many times there's no smoking gun and SWAGs are made without really knowing.

Cool picture of the fly.

Best not to use a bucket for a secondary vessel if you intend using one.

Too much head space, large surface area and poor seal can tick all the boxes for a vinegar beer.

Yep you can tell by looking at the coating on the top that it's infected.

Hard to believe a little fly caused an infection in a whole batch of brew.

It just seems extremely hard to get an infection when yeast takes over but I guess it happens.

Back